all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Handstand trouble

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CalisthenicsBK

First Post
Hello. I have been training the handstand for about an year now. Not very consistently, honestly, but every other day. The problem is I can't seem to get it even after an year of trying. Sometimes I get lucky and hold it for about 5-6 seconds, but then fall uncontrollably, like in the beginning in most of the times. I train it without a wall, going as straight as possible and flexing every muscle, using fingers, palms, shoulders and all there is, trying to balance but I can't get the feel of it. Any advice will be helpful.

Thank you.

Hello @CalisthenicsBK

Welcome on SF.

When you train for such a skill, do you do it first thing in your training, while you are still fresh ? This is quite important.

Then, what progression do you use ? Overcoming Gravity is a good source of information for instance. Building the Gymnast Body is another one.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @CalisthenicsBK
  • Try hollow position -- focus on closing the space in the front of the body between bottom of ribcace and hip bones.
  • Activate lats, feels like flaring the lats
  • Follow my friend Eduardo on Instagram: @eorihuela. He's SFG II and SFB and he puts out awesome tutorials! www.all-aroundfitness.com

@pet', I always train it before exercising and it really is better. I have tried many progressions but at the end I stick with the 'kick up and hold(or at least try)'. I also do raises from sat on the knees position to a full handstand to strengthen the soulders a bit. By the way, 'Overcoming Gravity' seems like a great book. Sadly Amazon is my only option where I live in.

@Anna C I've heard about the hollow position training but didn't pay much attention to that. Will keep your suggestions in mind.

Hello,

Getting into the HS position is also possible from a crow pose. Of course, this is less academical, but it allows you to start from a more stable position.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been trying fir a while, definite improvements but no where near where I should be.

Is it physical or is it potentially mental thing? Confidence balancing on the hands seems an often overlooked factor - or it could be just my weird mindset

@Glen, hand balancing is one of the most essential factors of getting the right balance in the handstand position. If you don't use your hands(fingers in particular) you are just relying on your shoulders to balance. Just like we balance with the fingers of our feet, it's the same when we're upside down, we are just not used to it and that's where patience comes in.

I've been trying fir a while, definite improvements but no where near where I should be.

Is it physical or is it potentially mental thing? Confidence balancing on the hands seems an often overlooked factor - or it could be just my weird mindset

It could be a mindset/mental thing, sure. It seems to be a bit like a kid riding a bicycle... one day it just clicks and you realize you can do it. But there are some things that help, like palm placement and grip on the floor, and being confident in falling out of it. My friend @eorihuela referenced above has way better tips on all this than I do.

@Glen, hand balancing is one of the most essential factors of getting the right balance in the handstand position. If you don't use your hands(fingers in particular) you are just relying on your shoulders to balance. Just like we balance with the fingers of our feet, it's the same when we're upside down, we are just not used to it and that's where patience comes in.

I very much get that, technique and position rules. But sometimes what holds you back is in your head rather than the technique, as said maybe it's me but certain milestone barbell lifts (so many plates etc) and movements can get in your head

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom