all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hanging

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Coincidentally, has anyone here done the hanging program from Convict Conditioning 2?
I did it for a long time back in 2012. I made it to the one arm towel hang "master step". I really enjoyed it and my forearms did get larger/stronger but it gets really tedious near the end of the steps. It takes allot of consistency and patience. It starts to degrade performance in other exercises if you're not careful about the programming and frequency.

It did make everything else easier after the fact because my grip improved so drastically.

The 90% solution for most people is simple. Run tall, like someone attached a string to the top of your head and is pulling on in. If you tuck your chin in, this will happen automatically. Do that and increase your cadence and you'll have most of it licked. Don't exaggerate the cadence, just pick it up a bit. Do a few strides a couple of days per week after your run. Strides are not sprints, but they are fast, and short. Do about 30-50 yards, start moderately fast and accelerate to about 70-80% sprint speed.

Focus on posture and cadence during every run.
Strides a couple of days per week. Just a few of them.

Should help.
Thanks much Mike, this is valuable info to me.

Agree. Steve Maxwell also prescribes hangs for shoulder injuries. He says that he has never seen a case where shoulder problems were not improved with hangs. A great test that Dan John recommends is to hang for 30 seconds, then do a pullup, then without letting go of the bar, hang for another 30 seconds and do a pullup etc..... If you manage 4, you are doing great.

hanging for 2 min straight is still quite a feat in itself.

@Tall guy Andrew, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

In your place, I either wouldn't do this or would try it very, very cautiously. The best thing would be to find a doctor who both understands your individual shoulder issue and is supportive of hanging in general, and then follow that doctor's advice.

-S-

Is hanging safe for someone with a loose shoulder from a previous dislocation?

- as Steve said, ask your doctor first
- if approved, start with supported hanging - have your legs on a chair, box, or something
- start with active hangs only, built up strength, gradually get rid of the support
- don't do any other type of hanging (passive, one hand... ) until you can hang for 2 mins plus
- do your get-ups

Is hanging safe for someone with a loose shoulder from a previous dislocation?

I had a dislocation and the surgery for labrum tear myself. From experience can tell you that passive hanging with unstable shoulder is a no. It is unstable because of structural damage to labrum, so as soon as you relax supporting muscles the shoulder can subluxate.
That's what my doctor told me but it was specific to my unstable shoulder.
I believe Steve Maxwell and doctor he referred to are also talking that passive hanging is not for someone with unstable joint.

Tim Shieff does some really nice one handed hangs where he does large rotations in either direction. They feel very good

Just been doing these in the gymnastic bodies single bar shoulder mobility session - tougher on the grip than I expected and had to allow toe contact with the ground as a scaling option.

Shoulders felt good afterwards though

I'll contribute a couple of personal data points.

I hang on the bar every day, and pretty much always have. At our leadership meeting in the Fall, I hung from the bar for 2 minutes, doing a pullup every 15 seconds so 8 pullups in total. At home, I've hung for 2 minutes bw-only, and I now practice some of the time with a 12 kg bell on a dipping belt. I'm up to 1:15 hang time that way and it's not a max but I don't think I'd made 2:00 that way just yet. I do all my hangs on a very smooth bar that was made for use with gravity boots - it's not the easiest thing to hang onto.

It's great for my shoulders.

I do these passive bar hangs, Skin The Cats on the rings, a long stretch at the bottom position of a dip, and the "Egyptian" stretch, and all these things help my shoulders, I feel.

-S-

As strange as it might sound - if I do these at home it is on the overhang from our upstairs landing. I am quite tall so can stand on a stair and reach up and grab on. What this means though is that my hands are almost in an upside down 'L' shape .

This is really hard and at the moment I try and knock out a couple of sets of 45 seconds. I do add them into to gym sessions in a squat rack as well, but unless I am actually in the gym coaching, my own training is all done at home/outside.

Richard

You know, sometimes the worst thing about this forum is constantly discovering how far from "great" I am. My grip in a hang fades out at around a minute. Yet another target to chase...

I agree. That "test" is unbelievably difficult but that article got me started on hanging on the bars at the local playground after walking my kid to school everyday. A golden move for sure.

If Joe Rogan Hangs, it’s gotta be good for you right?! Haha

I’ve been a big fan of hanging. Never really measured a long term hold and my progress. I just enjoy my 1 minute a day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom