all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hanging

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Agree. Steve Maxwell also prescribes hangs for shoulder injuries. He says that he has never seen a case where shoulder problems were not improved with hangs. A great test that Dan John recommends is to hang for 30 seconds, then do a pullup, then without letting go of the bar, hang for another 30 seconds and do a pullup etc..... If you manage 4, you are doing great.

Tim Shieff does some really nice one handed hangs where he does large rotations in either direction. They feel very good

A great test that Dan John recommends is to hang for 30 seconds, then do a pullup, then without letting go of the bar, hang for another 30 seconds and do a pullup etc..... If you manage 4, you are doing great.

You know, sometimes the worst thing about this forum is constantly discovering how far from "great" I am. My grip in a hang fades out at around a minute. Yet another target to chase...

You know, sometimes the worst thing about this forum is constantly discovering how far from "great" I am. My grip in a hang fades out at around a minute. Yet another target to chase...

Well, I could only get 3, barely. My wife is better though. I can see this is something that can really improve with specific training.

I can see this is something that can really improve with specific training.

Been doing 45sec bar hangs almost daily for about a month now. It's been interesting how inconsistent it feels. Some days feels like I could keep hanging for a while. Some days I have to take a break at 20sec. Haven't identified any rhyme or reason to that yet.

When folks hang as a "stretch", do you relax your core? Or stay tight (e.g. hold hollow position)?

When folks hang as a "stretch", do you relax your core? Or stay tight (e.g. hold hollow position

I would say don't over think, stay reflexive - don't let your shoulders pull out and your body out alignment while not countering the distraction generated by the pull. My 2 cents

This will help stay reflexive and not overthinking:
Weightlifter Tommy Kono recommended to finish a session with hanging from a pull up bar and then turn or bend in all directions. Feels very good.

EDIT: If you have tight shoulders or t-spine alow some periods of more distraction... Contract-and-relax maybe very usefull here

Agree. Steve Maxwell also prescribes hangs for shoulder injuries. He says that he has never seen a case where shoulder problems were not improved with hangs. A great test that Dan John recommends is to hang for 30 seconds, then do a pullup, then without letting go of the bar, hang for another 30 seconds and do a pullup etc..... If you manage 4, you are doing great.
Hey Mike, how's Coronado? I'm loving the coastal walking, I'm working slowly toward running, any recommendations on specific technique would be very much appreciated.
I just did the hang 30 sec and pull-up, I made it to 3 pull-ups and another 30 seconds. I just re-read your post and should have done another pull-up at the end, I'm not sure I could have made it as my hands and forearms were on fire.

Been doing 45sec bar hangs almost daily for about a month now. It's been interesting how inconsistent it feels. Some days feels like I could keep hanging for a while. Some days I have to take a break at 20sec. Haven't identified any rhyme or reason to that yet.

When folks hang as a "stretch", do you relax your core? Or stay tight (e.g. hold hollow position)?
I like to relax and attempt to decompress the spine, pumping the shoulders up and down via scapular action feels great too.

Coincidentally, has anyone here done the hanging program from Convict Conditioning 2?

Hey Mike, how's Coronado? I'm loving the coastal walking, I'm working slowly toward running, any recommendations on specific technique would be very much appreciated.
I just did the hang 30 sec and pull-up, I made it to 3 pull-ups and another 30 seconds. I just re-read your post and should have done another pull-up at the end, I'm not sure I could have made it as my hands and forearms were on fire.

Corondao is great. Good living for sure. Are you asking about running technique?

Corondao is great. Good living for sure. Are you asking about running technique?
Yes, I'm like clay now with running as I've not done it for so long, I want to incorporate it slowly using sound technique. I'm building a base walking and thought of run/walk sessions to break in very slowly to the movement.

Yes, I'm like clay now with running as I've not done it for so long, I want to incorporate it slowly using sound technique. I'm building a base walking and thought of run/walk sessions to break in very slowly to the movement.

The 90% solution for most people is simple. Run tall, like someone attached a string to the top of your head and is pulling on in. If you tuck your chin in, this will happen automatically. Do that and increase your cadence and you'll have most of it licked. Don't exaggerate the cadence, just pick it up a bit. Do a few strides a couple of days per week after your run. Strides are not sprints, but they are fast, and short. Do about 30-50 yards, start moderately fast and accelerate to about 70-80% sprint speed.

Focus on posture and cadence during every run.
Strides a couple of days per week. Just a few of them.

Should help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom