all posts post new thread

Old Forum Happy Easter, ladies and gents!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sisters and brothers of StrongFirst, Chief - Happy Easter!

Happy easter everyone!

Steve M, I had to google the phrase "Christ is Arisen" and found out that you should answer:

He is Risen Indeed!

I learn something new everyday.

No one is trying to convert anyone here, just spreading good wishes. Happy Easter y'all, Christian and non-Christian brothers and sisters alike!

Easter is a Christian celebration of the risen Christ.  Why would you enter into the conversation if you don't like the subject matter, and even try to redefine what Easter is?

Peasants in the fields are planting,

Singing as they drop the seed,

Alleluli, Christ is Risen,

Christ the Lord is Risen Indeed!

Let us plant seeds of strength. Christos voskrese, Pavel Vladimirovich.

Jeffrey,

It just has nothing to do with strength and fitness– the theme of this forum. The "Jesus is king" stuff is a huge putoff to those that don't share these beliefs. If  someone started a thread celebrating the National Day of Reason, and I made a post that said "God is an absurd and childish figment of your imagination!", that would be rude and irrelevant in the same way. I'm not saying that we can't wish a happy holiday, but saying things like that point out to non-christians and the non-religous that the people making these posts are calling them wrong in the " you're going to hell" kind of way.

Scientist-

One of the nicest things about opinions is that there is no rule saying that they must all be shared.  Virtuosity is not a uniquely Christian concept, and sometimes keeping one's mouth shut is the greatest form of it.

It's apparent from the condescending and adversarial tone of your posts in the "Warrior" thread that your remarks here are not due to some isolated sensitivity towards topics which are religious in nature.  Rather I suspect they are related to a near-pathological lack of social discretion and tact.  Somewhere between attending Sunday Easter Mass and going on a anti-religious rant that's akin to what you'd hear from a puffed up psuedo-intellecutal freshman home on summer break after their first year at college is the appropriate course of action for the decent atheist in situations such as this.

The Scientist, in a previous thread, you brought up religion out of nowhere, when no one had mentioned it. Here, your opening a thread that is very clearly about a religious holiday just to complain about it. Not interested, don't read the thread.

I'm religious, but not Christian (yes, there are other religions besides Christianity). I don't care for proselytizing, but this was hardly that, it was just well wishes for a holiday. If there were posts every day all about Jesus, saying I was going to hell for not believing in him, I should convert, etc etc, I might not come around here as much, because I might feel unwelcome (I also prefer not to see threads on politics, and thankfully there's been very little of that). But from reading the dragondoor forum for years, Pavel typically posts on Easter and Christmas. Twice a year is not that much. And at the end of the day, it's Pavel's and Mark's forum, that they provide for free to all of us to use. You don't have to purchase a single product or even sign up for a newsletter to register and post here. That's a pretty good deal for all of us. If one doesn't like the content, one doesn't have to read the forum, or the thread. Live and let live.

And happy Easter to those observing it, whether you follow the western date or the eastern one, as many of my friends do.

Scientist,

Easter, by definition, is the Christian celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  I acknowledge that not everyone who says Happy Easter" is Christian, so I take it with a grain of salt when someone says Happy Easter" if I don't know they are Christian.  Jesus made it clear, and the Bible makes it clear, that faith in Jesus in the only way to salvation.  It is an offense to some that there is even a need for salvation, seeing as how the the thing that people need saving from is the wrath of a God due the fact that God is holy and we are not.  But, that is the cause of the celebration that He is risen.

Technically, having no belief or claiming "reason" as a meta belief are no different to any belief system (belief in reason or belief in no belief).  Proselyting "no belief" is also no different.

I guess the Chief makes the rules for his forum -  I thought it was a kind and genuine gesture from him - Happy Easter Pavel  and thanks!

I would also point out that there was no proselytizing taking place.  Wishing someone a happy Easter, or defining the meaning if Easter, is not necessarily for the purpose of trying to convince others that they should also embrace this belief.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom