all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hard-living types

PTM

Level 4 Valued Member
Sorry if it’s a foolish question, but what does Pavel mean when he refers to “hard-living” people (Q&D, elsewhere)? I have never served in the military or trained for combat sports, but I have accumulated a lot of mileage in other sports and heavy lifting. I have some old injuries that restrict shoulder mobility and feel like his recommendations for “hard-living” people could apply to me.

I imagine that it's people who push themselves physically for years, either recreationally, training, competition, or for their job, and have accumulated injuries or are just somewhat "beat up" in ways that don't fully heal, but result in some arthritis, mobility restrictions, joints in need of replacement, etc.

I was in the military for 20 years but as an Air Force electronics technician I definitely do not consider myself to be a "hard living" type ;) (and anyone in another branch of the US military will surely agree ;)... although the Air Force does have some special ops types that would qualify!)

I think by the time someone gets to age 40 or so and starts feeling the results of their "hard living", they will know if they are one.

And, as often mentioned, kettlebell training is a great alternative for these people. It tends to provide resistance training that stimulates healthy adaptations without incurring additional cost upon their lingering ailments. (Yes that is a purely subjective statement and I have no proof... but I have heard many people attest to it.)

Hello,

I'd view this person as someone who is able to endure and to perform regardless the conditions (whether it is climate or physical state). From a pure physical standpoint it may mean being able to either going beyond "fatigue" or being able to turn around an issue

Kind regards,

Pet'

I imagine that it's people who push themselves physically for years, either recreationally, training, competition, or for their job, and have accumulated injuries or are just somewhat "beat up" in ways that don't fully heal, but result in some arthritis, mobility restrictions, joints in need of replacement, etc.

I was in the military for 20 years but as an Air Force electronics technician I definitely do not consider myself to be a "hard living" type ;) (and anyone in another branch of the US military will surely agree ;)... although the Air Force does have some special ops types that would qualify!)

I think by the time someone gets to age 40 or so and starts feeling the results of their "hard living", they will know if they are one.

And, as often mentioned, kettlebell training is a great alternative for these people. It tends to provide resistance training that stimulates healthy adaptations without incurring additional cost upon their lingering ailments. (Yes that is a purely subjective statement and I have no proof... but I have heard many people attest to it.)
I am an avionics technician and was in the RN, i was a hard living type if you mean drinking and cards...

I would call MYSELF Hard Living and here are my qualifications: Spent years as a musician lifting heavy amps on and off stage including up and down stairs. Spent years on hard drugs like Crack, etc. Spent years in gym trying every type of workout. Spent years doing manual labor. Do all my own plumbing, electrical and carpentry work. Also do my own concrete work. Now I am older and feel pretty beat up with a lot of lingering injuries so I have to be carefull. But I still try to get in about 3-4 Kettlebell workouts a year. In the Summer I add in tossing a Shot Put around my yard. I quit drugs and cigs but I still drink a lot, mostly Wild Turkey 101.

I would call MYSELF Hard Living and here are my qualifications: Spent years as a musician lifting heavy amps on and off stage including up and down stairs. Spent years on hard drugs like Crack, etc. Spent years in gym trying every type of workout. Spent years doing manual labor. Do all my own plumbing, electrical and carpentry work. Also do my own concrete work. Now I am older and feel pretty beat up with a lot of lingering injuries so I have to be carefull. But I still try to get in about 3-4 Kettlebell workouts a year. In the Summer I add in tossing a Shot Put around my yard. I quit drugs and cigs but I still drink a lot, mostly Wild Turkey 101.
3-4 workouts a year, should be safe from overtraining. ;) You have WT101 for breakfast ? :)

Maybe not in quite the same way as the articles intended!? You’ve had a wild ride though!

A picture paints a thousand words. The one that accompanies the “hard living page” is a FOB/PB wall with weapons leaning up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom