all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hard style Breathing question

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wesker11

Level 5 Valued Member
I've recently committed to the 2 week hard style breathing cycle from "Hard Style Abs". I'm finding on the very last hiss of the set that my spine is cracking. No pain on the crack. No pain before or after the set or later in day. Just a crack, like cracking your knuckles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have experienced this from time to time doing positive pressure breathing variations.

Some of the diaphragm origination points are anchored to the inside face of the lumbar vertebra. As you exhale hard and "push" out and down with the stomach, the muscle tightens up with the stress hitting those lumbar attachment points last.

I have the book. I will take a look. Should there be any concern for hernias while practicing hard style breathing?

I have the book. I will take a look. Should there be any concern for hernias while practicing hard style breathing?

If you have an existing hernia I imagine you could aggravate it, same as with heavy exertion. Otherwise it shouldn't be any more stressful than regular weight lifting power breathing.

The focal point for tension is generally a little higher than what would be impacted by an inguinal hernia, individual results may vary.

It's a classic case of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Ease into your breathing training as you would progress gradually in any other kind of training - and you should be fine.

I have an inherited weakness as far as inguinal hernias are concerned - my grandfather had, my father had, I had, and both my sons had. Me and my sons each had surgery at around the age of 3.

Before I started strength training, I used to experience occasional pain in the area where I had surgery, but since then, none. I believe that proper 'power' breathing has strengthened me in that area and taken the load off the connective tissue that was repaired, but I am not a doctor and this is neither a medical opinion nor medical advice - just describing my own experience here, for what it's worth to you. Your power breathing training should be inhaling against the strength of your muscles and, if done properly, should only help.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom