all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hardest Conditioning Exercise

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Waffles03

Level 4 Valued Member
What’s your hardest conditioning exercise? Mine is the weighted burpees and find them to be more gruesome than hill sprints. However I’ve never pushed or drag a sled or prowler, but they look even look more painful.

Hello,

It can be a lot of things depending - of course - on your cardio vascular system, but also on your flexibility and mobility. Double under using jumping rope, burpees remain tough (considering bodyweight training). Otherwise, snatches with WVC are hard as well...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Many lifts/movements can become rally mean conditioning exercises depending how they are loaded.

Am a big fan currently of getups with a sandbag, using between 1/3 and 1/2 bodyweight for reps. Is totally different from doing them slow and low rep.

Rolling getups/decksquats are brutal too - anything that has a change of levels, fairly heavy load and many repeats is going to be a real challenge.

Harmless question, I know, but I'd prefer the most effective conditioning exercise over the hardest. It's the difference between workouts and training.

Using the glycolytic system, like when you feel the burn isn't too great for the body. See the link for why:
The Hybrid Power Conditioning Program

I like the prowler or rower in done with 10 second max effort work times, rest, and repeat for proper A+A conditioning.

Rowing killing me every time I jump on it, but I do not do it often so better answer is running uphill at 90% of max effort.

From my POV conditioning is more about HR than anything else with muscular endurance a secondary aspect.

Whatever I'm doing I want it to be whole body, hit 80-90% HR max, and hold it at that peak for about 20 seconds, rinse and repeat. Anything that gets it there fairly rapidly isn't anything you can do for extended periods anyway, but a prime goal (in my case) is to condition the glycolytic system at the mitochondrial level. How much of this is the focus or incidental can be managed by tweaking the rest intervals, although too short an effort or too much downtime between efforts blunts the glycolytic improvements.

I don't really consider my jump rope HIIT to be conditioning in this context as there just isn't any real muscular loading happening.

Just pure metabolic conditioning, I would say nordic/cross country skiing is quite humbling for me... Last year both me and my dad harvested deer. My dad has heart trouble so I dragged both deer out of the woods about 1/2 mile and that was challenging as well.

Just pure metabolic conditioning, I would say nordic/cross country skiing is quite humbling for me... Last year both me and my dad harvested deer. My dad has heart trouble so I dragged both deer out of the woods about 1/2 mile and that was challenging as well.

CC skiing can be brutal, especially if you don't do it enough to have good form.

I used to CC many miles alongside the snowmobile trails that crisscrossed my region - great conditioning and see the world. Few things better than CCing on a cloudless night with good company! That said I wasn't dragging who knows how much venison weight, min 120 lbs.

I've only almost puked once in my life and it was a long duration fin against a pretty fast current in a rebreather. Using that as a guide, anything that can be done steady state but done above a threshold pace for the same duration as a threshold event at a higher altitude without a full supply of oxygen.

It seems if you push hard enough on anything it can be "The hardest". For me, over the years, it has been kicking thai pads, mountain biking, or hill sprints.

What’s your hardest conditioning exercise? Mine is the weighted burpees and find them to be more gruesome than hill sprints. However I’ve never pushed or drag a sled or prowler, but they look even look more painful.

I will ask different question: Why the search for the hardest conditioning exercise? Why e.g. not the search for the most effective one, which will bring the desired results?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom