all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hardstyle breathing questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisDirks

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm reviewing Hardstyle breathing instructions and after bracing the pelvic floor and the abs the instructions are to press the tongue hard behind the teeth and hiss. Two questions:

1: I'm confused because I thought the point was to increase inter abdominal pressure, however if I understand the mechanics attempting to hiss should cause the diaphragm to rise, decreasing IAP. It seems like this many we should increase pressure on the chest and lungs, which makes a sort of sense since there are pressure sensors there that are supposed to engage fight or flight type reflexes.

2) the emphasis of pressing hard with the tongue has new significance for me after reading original strength. I'm curious how much of is is about using the tongue as a stopper to increase pressure, which I feel like doesn't require much pressure, and how much is about the irradiation effect from engaging the tongue.

Ok in relation to question 1: I think I get it: it must be that the pressure the causes the hiss is not initiated by the draphram raising while the rest of the core stays immobile. The pressure comes from the abs and pelvic floor contracting and forcing the diaphragm up. Which means pressure on the Abdomen and the chest will both rise. Now I think the recommendation to keep the breathe at 50-80% of capacity makes sense, since you'd want the abs at their strongest range of motion, which Presumably wouldn't be fully extended as in a full breath.

Travis, the diaphragm will cocontract, or at least will not relax. The tongue is an "air stopper" and a location of a number of reflexes.

I was wondering about a similar thing on the weekend, and now am wondering when does the diaphragm actually relax compared to when it co-contracts?

I think I see: The confusion was in the false dichotomy of a muscle being on or off. In reality the diaphragm in this case is like the lat in a press. It's on and providing power through irradiation and stabilization even as it is being lengthened/stretched.

Matt, between reps.

Thanks Pavel.

The co-contraction makes things for me a lot clearer. Do you go into more detail in any of your writings (from memory perhaps NWarrior)? I'd like to understand breathing better, especially when breathing heavy during a sprint or a couple of strong powerful set of swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom