all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hardstyle / Kettlebell Sport Carryover?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I've never done any kettlebell-sport style lifts at all, and certainly not the signature marathon level lifting sessions.

How much carry over is there between hard style and kettlebell sport?

Or is it basically starting at zero if you want to learn?

Depends how exactly you've been training. Taking into account that the girevoy sport is a specific competitive discipline endurance inclined, and hardstyle is a training method, highly effective per se, there is a carryover for sure. After all, where from Pavel brought it...
Just to reflect my idea of the carryover, and how I experience this, the higher I go in weight with A+A snatches in 40-50 minutes sessions, the easier are my strengths-endurance efforts with lighter weights and very compressed rests (mostly things that gied off my training logs). If we leave aside the technique differences, the programming of the work-rest intervals is big thing. The closest thing to GS I aware of in the hardstyle is Kenneth Jay's vo2 max 15/15 snatches - programming-vise. Adjust it to 5/5, "soften" the technique - you're in GS. Very roughly of course.
All of a mentioned are my subjective thoughts, I'm just interested to participate in the discussion.

There are variants of Girevoy Sports as I recall one being similar to Hard Style but breathing and timing are tailored to competitive nature. The only time I practiced this was at a seminar as nature of my Hard Style was applicable.
I heard from few GS people that Hard Style can be the elementary component to expand into GS but I cannot prove this point due to lack of experience.

There are variants of Girevoy Sports as I recall one being similar to Hard Style but breathing and timing are tailored to competitive nature. The only time I practiced this was at a seminar as nature of my Hard Style was applicable.
I heard from few GS people that Hard Style can be the elementary component to expand into GS but I cannot prove this point due to lack of experience.

But I thought the difference was more than breathing?

The GS swing that I've seen is more squatty / scoopy.....

Last edited:
The objective is different, therefore both the technique and the programming are different.

As for carryover, of course there is some, but but it depends how easily one picks up the new technique and how much one's training background and programming resembles the new objective.

The GS itself is categorized into one sport but methodologies are spawned to various styles, just like martial arts.
GS we are seeing or the perception of GS is too stereotypical. My limited experience shows that a Hard Style practitioner can walk into GS field and utilize his or her skills.
In the old Pavel’s RKC era, Valery Fedorenko did a GS session during certification weekend. I heard there was an idea of implementing GS component into certification but the organizer decided not to. Added to this, there are few Hard Style people who reached a certain rank within GS competition but opted not to compete further on.

For certain, it’s more than breathing, however I recall that breathing patterns directly influence movements. GS style I learned had nothing to do with scooping the bell. This was the first and last time I encountered GS but did borrow some idea to implement into my snatch technique.

The objective is different, therefore both the technique and the programming are different.

As for carryover, of course there is some, but but it depends how easily one picks up the new technique and how much one's training background and programming resembles the new objective.

Yes, naturally.

Conservation of momentum being the driving principle of GS movements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom