all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hardstyle push up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Read Karen S article on HS Push-up, excellent article. Question in terms of breath. At the top of the push up there is a TSss to tighten. Do you hold the breath to the bottom and further exhale through fingertips at the bottom to push back up?

Question in terms of breath. At the top of the push up there is a TSss to tighten. Do you hold the breath to the bottom and further exhale through fingertips at the bottom to push back up?

From the SFB manual (this is the way we practiced it, too):

"Inhale through the nose on the negative, exhale with a hiss on the positive."

"When performing a very hard pushup variation, you may have to take a breath on the top and hold it through the negative, as in very heavy powerlifts."

So, yes as you get into position at the top you can "Tssss" to tighten up -- this really helped me a few weeks ago to find that truly max body tension position before the negative. Then either inhale as you go down, or hold the breath. With the inhale/exhale, visualization helps too, and is recommended. "Visualize inhaling through your palms, directing air up your arms and through your armpits into your lower stomach. On the way up, visualize sending compressed air from your stomach into your palms--again through your armpits."

Reviving this older thread to keep all the questions in a single place.

I read and found very useful Karen's article, but I have a small query about elbows. From the instructions and the video it's clear that elbows are to be tucked tight to the body at the bottom, but I've found that with the narrow hand spacing it is hard to not let the elbows creep outwards slightly when coming back up again. Is a slightly curved 'elbow path' okay, or should the elbows (viewed from the front) not move out of line with the side of the body at all?

I assume the latter and can just about manage it by focusing on the cue to screw in the shoulders, but it doesn't come naturally... yet

@Ben H
My elbows usually begin a little flared and I haul them in as I elevate - this activated the lats a lot and really gets them helping at the bottom.

As the elbows come in, my arms have to externally rotate a few degrees - this is how I benchpress as well.

Disclaimer - I am not representing this "as taught" hardstyle but just how I perform the lift. Have revived this of late in my own routine with addition of sandbag loaded across my upper back, so is fresh in my mind.

From the instructions and the video it's clear that elbows are to be tucked tight to the body at the bottom, but I've found that with the narrow hand spacing it is hard to not let the elbows creep outwards slightly when coming back up again.

I think as long as you're maximally corkscrewing, they elbows will only slightly move out to accomodate your torso. I am not an expert, tho.

Hello,

@+1 @North Coast Miller
This is also what I do.

Steve Maxwell advises to use a shoulder width hand position. To avoid the elbow flaring he says to point the fingers outward. Plus it also creates a greater lat contraction. If you do this while engaging glutes, you get a nice and secure position to perform the move, regardless the ROM.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom