all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Has anyone done S&S with 2 Hand Swings Only?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benedictine Monk

Level 3 Valued Member
Since I'm restricted to 2 Hand Swings for awhile due to injury, I was curious if anyone has attempted the simple goal with only 2HS?

It's not the program so it's unlikely that anyone has tried it, but there's no reason to avoid it - 100 2h swings is still a fine think to do.

-S-

I was on the old school PM with the beast for both exercises a while back. I have no complaints about strength or conditioning levels it brought. 2H swings work you different than single handed. More on explosiveness and conditioning that the strength and anti rotational stability. Make sure you're doing shadow style swings.

I mostly swing with both hands. I play around with numbers, weight, duration, sometimes spread in some 1h swings...have found a good source of inspiration. Do not know, if I am allowed to post the name?!
I am content with my progress and results so far.
Hopefully I am not outing myself as a complete idiot by admitting my habit

2H swings work you different than single handed. More on explosiveness and conditioning that the strength and anti rotational stability.

Ditto JZB, I even prefer two handed swings. I do one handed because I want the rotational strength and I recognize that grip strength is holding me back. But nothing beats the let-er-rip-explosiveness of the 2H swing. I find myself throwing in 1-3 2h swings at the end of sets of 1h swing just because I want my body to remember full power.

In the past, I've had great success, in my humble opinion, with coaching new students to first reach the point where they can reliably handle 300 two-handed swings in 15 minutes or less and feel fully recovered for the next day's training session (16k for ladies, who make up most of my students, and 24k for gents--this can keep them busy for at least a few weeks) before advancing to the one armed version. When this benchmark of the daily 300 is met, I challenge them, if they're game, to the "10,000 Swing Challenge" popularized by Coach Dan John. I'm always on hand to keep time, monitor their heart rate, and to make sure every swing is hardstyle. Typically around this time, both ladies and gents tend to be closing in on the "Simple" TGU goal, as well. For full disclosure, these are also military people I deal with, so the mileage with other segments of the population may vary.

After successful completion of the 28 day 10k challenge, I'd start having them mix it up with one-armers, and from there; once they've demonstrated power in the technique (and they've met the "Simple" TGU goal), we progress to cleans, presses and snatches. Time for the RoP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom