all posts post new thread

Old Forum Have you "greased the groove" with swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Travis, Steve has summarized the guidelines well.  It is an experiment; no guarantee it will work.

Steve,

"You asked if GTG swings can provide conditioning equal to the PM.  Others will want to weigh in, but I’m g0ing to say no.  Quick sets of 20 reps will not condition the body to convert oxygen to energy, or the heart to sustain a high rate, as well as 12 minute sets of swings and jogging."

There is research suggesting that many sets of low rep explosive swings will develop mitochondria in fast twitch fibers—thus enabling you to use oxygen.

Thanks for clarifying, Pavel.    You said: "There is research suggesting that many sets of low rep explosive swings will develop mitochondria in fast twitch fibers—thus enabling you to use oxygen."

Do you think that, in addition to GS-specific training, GTG swings would increase oxygen uptake for a 10-minute GS set?    For example, my current training consists of a 5-7 minute set of long cycle with 2x24k, then 20 minutes of steady-state cardio- usually running or a ski machine.   I do this generally 4-5 days a week.  I also do flexibility and mobility work throughout the day.

Would adding GTG swings throughout the day, according to the protocol you outlined, help to provide more wind during a GS set?

Great info. I started GTG swings today and loved it. It seemed to give me more energy throughout the day and made meal feel strong all day. If I am doing GTG swings as the PM what should I do for the press? Should I just do 5 Minutes OF get ups 2-3 days a week? If so how many days a week can you do Get ups? Or would it be better to do Presses GTG style with the swings? Is it ok to go strait to presses and skip the Get up? Thanks again for the info I am going to see if this works. I think I will incorporate one 10-15 minute swing session a week for the added conditioning benefit.

Travis,

I'm glad you are enjoying your swings.  Again, you have options with your press.  You can do 5 minutes of get ups each day, just about as many days a week as you like.  It's not going to trash you, so you won't need extra recovery time.

It's fine to go straight to presses, if your press technique is good.  Remember, in the PM, you practice cleans and presses and other lifts for a few minutes before the get ups, so when it's time to start pressing, you are ready.  That said, GTG is a great way to improve technique.  If you can press the bell you are swinging for one or two moderately easy reps per arm, then you can GTG presses when you GTG swings.  Press, then swing.  Two presses per arm plus 10-20 swings should take under 1:00 to complete.  If you did this 15-20 times per day (at least 15:00 apart), you'd have 30-40 presses per arm, which works out to about a medium ROP day, and between 150 and 400 swings.  That's an honest day's work.

In "The Naked Warrior" Pavel advises against GTG with more than two movements at a time, so presses and swings should work out fine.

Steve, I do not know.  It could be worth experimenting with—and you might as well do it with the competition lifts.

Thanks, Pavel.  I'll add more short swing sessions throughout the day. Whether it helps with conditioning for GS, it can't hurt to have more posterior chain strength.

Pavel,

I have also heard bits and pieces about using short high intensity sets to increase the oxidative capacity of fast twitch fibres. If I may ask what studies specifically have you been looking at? This is an area I want to look further into myself.

Thanks

Finally I have time to post my findings.
Haven't been working out apart from chin up here and there cos' my parents were in town to see their first grand child.

2013 11 07 24x17x15 255 total / Close Grip Bench 55 x 5,3,2
2013 11 08 24x17x13 221 total / Close Grip Bench 55 x 5,3,2
2013 11 09 24x17x10 170 total / Close Grip Bench 57.5 x 3, 50x5,3,2
2013 11 10 24x17x13 221 total
2013 11 11 off
2013 11 12 24x20x11 220 total /Close Grip Bench 52.5x5,x3,x2

2013 11 13 off
2013 11 14 24x20x11 220 total /Close Grip Bench 55x5,x3,x2
2013 11 15 24x20x8 160 total /Close Grip Bench 57.5x4,x3,x2
2013 11 16 24x20x10 200 total /Close Grip Bench 57.5x5,x3,x2 (PB!)

17/11/2013 SUN  Close Grip Bench 50x8, x5, x5. x5 x4 x3

Total rep: 30

My parent were in town to see their grandson on Monday so I tried to wrap it up with
some sort of "test": Close Grip Bench to comfortable stop every three minutes.
last time with the 5x5 (5mins break), I couldn't even hit full 25 rep with 47.5KG so I guess I am stronger now.

The GTG swing has been treating me well. I wish I have time and energy to keep this kind of volume (at least 10 sets of 20 per day) for 3 more week.

Will keep the swings going  with the focus on maximal explosive from now on.
I finally understand the "float", after reading S&S on the train today.

Pulling up this old thread...

I just got a 32kg and had it delivered to my office. Due to circumstances at home, I may keep it here in the office for at least a little while. So, I thought I might GTG with swings throughout the day.

I'm not going to be religious about it, but I'd like to do 2 x 10 explosive swings (2-handed) maybe 8-10 times per day. That would be a total of 160-200 per day. Frequency would depend on how busy I am at work, and if I remember to, honestly.

Also, some of the sets may be 5L/5R instead of 10 2-handed. I don't have the grip strength yet to do 1-handed sets of 10. I'm in my office on the 5th floor, and the last thing I want is to fling this thing across the room.

A couple of cons about this setup: I wear jeans and lace-up boots most of the time. So, not the most comfortable, and more heel than I'd like. I'm not going to change clothes, or take off my jeans or boots several times a day.

It would be nice to see some body comp changes. Plus, I'd like to be able to work up to 1-handed swings. When I end up taking this kettlebell home, I'd like to be able to do at least a few of my S&S swing sets 1-handed.

We'll see if I can stick to this for some length of time.

Fantastic Thread!  I will have a 32 or 36 in my office tomorrow, ready to knock out 10 every 30 minutes to an hour.  What a super way to insidiously up the volume.

Have done botht the Dan John 10,000 swing / month and the 300 day / 9,000 month.  High swing volume does my body good!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom