all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Have your workouts boost not hurt your immune system

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tim Randolph

Level 7 Valued Member
Not that this will be news for folks on this forum, but exercise is a great thing you can do boost your capacity to deal with a serious illness:
“Our data show that physically active people have a 40-50% reduction in the number of days they’re ill with acute respiratory infections,” says David Nieman, director of the Appalachian State University Human Performance Lab.
But be careful not to get to the point where you are overdoing it:
When there’s a novel virus like Covid-19 and no vaccine or cure available, athletes—yes, athletes—tend to be in the vulnerable category as well, Nieman says. If you’ve been marathon training or preparing for a century bike tour or pushing yourself really hard, doing long training sessions of two or three hours, “you are in the group of immunocompromised individuals,” he says.
Both quotes from This Is the Exercise Your Body Needs During the Coronavirus Outbreak

Pavel in both his program design and insights is well aware of the cost of doing too much:
In summary, to maximize your potential productivity you need to, in addition to training right, do whatever it takes to become happy and healthy.
Personally, I am going to keep my S&S program steady, but not push the rucking past comfortable hikes. And I will work harder on getting plenty of sleep and keeping my mood up.

In normal times, different people will have wildly different preferences for their risk to reward ratio in their physical training. For myself, I don’t want to have to do anything to myself right now that could significantly increase the odds of an urgent care clinic visit or ER visit or extra visits to a doctor or physical therapy visits. I find myself pushing myself harder in some areas (such as goblet squats and kettlebell swings), but I am being more cautious in other areas (like I’m not pushing the boundaries of the maximum weight I can handle with the Turkish Get Up.). If the difference between medicine and poison is the dosage, I need to watch the dosage of my training carefully....

Overreaching

One of the keys to making progress in training is Overreaching. This amounts to pushing your training during a training cycle.

That meaning that in a Planned Periodization Training Cycle, determined by a certain number of week, the last week of training is pushed to your limit or near it.

As stated in previous post, this intensity week is followed by dramatically dropping the load in the exercise performed or changing the exercise and starting back with something like and easy.

Overreaching is a slightly fatigued state with a short recovery period.

This promotes...

Active Recovery

Light easy loads following the final week of a training cycle, allow for recovery. The following weeks, progressive overload is applied with the final week being intense.

Light easy exercise (Active Recovery) increases blood flow to the tissue; delivering nutrients, assisting with recovery and eliminating metabolites (hauling off training garbage).

Autoreugulation

Some individual have a tendency write up program that is "Carved In Stone". It needs to be performed no matter how they feel.

One of the factors that needs to be part of a Periodization Training Program is Autoreuglation.

In other word, on days you feel good, push it a little more. On day things are not clicking, cut back a little. As the saying goes, "Row with the flow."

The problem with continuing to push it in a fatigued state is it leads to...

Overtraining

Overtraining by "Overdoing it", is one of the problems with some of the misinterpreted versions of "Deload" and "Reload".

"Deloading" for one training session isn't enough time to promote long term results or recovery.

"Wound Healing"

This means the greater the trauma to the body, the longer the recovery time needed to heal.

Due to Overtraining producing more damage, a much greater recover time is required.

Summary

1) Overreaching: Pushing the muscle/body to the limit is one of the component to progress.

2) Overtraining: This is an extension of Overreaching that lead to losing ground; requiring longer recovery time.

Biorhythms

This was mentioned in the article as a method of monitoring when you will be most productive. It is extremely questionable.

Biorhythms is sine cure cycles based on physical. emotional and intellectual highs and lows.

The cycles are calculated from you date of birth.

Years ago, I examined how Biorhythms affected my training.

I applied Biorhythms to past training session logs and Powerlifting Competitions. Back then, the only way to do that was by knowing the exactly number of days since your birth date, crunching the number with a calculator and potting a graph. Yea, I am that anal.

I found no correlation.

The Cycle Numbers

1) The Physical Cycle is 23 days.

2) Emotional Cycle is 28 days.

3) Intellectual Cycle is 33 days.

Winning The Trifecta

Based on Biorhythms, your are at you best when all three peak on the same day.

This amounts to winning the trifecta.

A More Effective Method

A more effective method that has recently been discussed is...

Circadian Rhythm

This has real science behind it.

It is something you can relate to, you already know the answer.

During a 24 hour day, your body temper fluctuates minutely. However, those small variation are huge numbers; determining when you are at your peak and in the valley.

As previously discussed, elevate reading are when you perform your best and lower readings are when you not.

Taking your temperature upon waking and continuing to take it every three hours determines what parts of the day you are at your best and not. If this method is performed, taking it over a three day period will provide you more accuracy.

However, all it does is reinforce what you already know; when you feel your best and when you just want to take a nap.

Take Home Message

As long as your diet and recover is in zone and you Autoregulate, Overreaching during a Planned Periodization Training Cycle is fine.

In other works, there no reason to cut back on your training; provide your program is well written and executed.

Last edited:
Pavel in both his program design and insights is well aware of the cost of doing too much:
In summary, to maximize your potential productivity you need to, in addition to training right, do whatever it takes to become happy and healthy.
I'd like to suggest everyone who doesn't already know how to do so learn to play a musical instrument. :)

-S-

I'd like to suggest everyone who doesn't already know how to do so learn to play a musical instrument. :)

It's surprising how GTG works incredibly well for so many different things!
Strength training, learning languages, learning to play musical instruments...

Does air drumming and singing in the car counts? ?
Only halfway. :) Playing an instrument I've been practicing for decades, and being able to do things I didn't used to be able to do on that instrument, brings a special kind of happiness. IMHO.

-S-

Not that this will be news for folks on this forum, but exercise is a great thing you can do boost your capacity to deal with a serious illness:

Both quotes from This Is the Exercise Your Body Needs During the Coronavirus Outbreak

Personally, I am going to keep my S&S program steady, but not push the rucking past comfortable hikes. And I will work harder on getting plenty of sleep and keeping my mood up.
Thanks for sharing this Tim!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom