all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Healthy enough to train?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TMRowlett

Level 4 Valued Member
I have had kettle bells for a few years now and have swing them in and off but never consistently stuck to a program. My challenge has been my caotic schedule, lack of time and energy etc.

I have a business where my schedule is up and down and I often work long hours and I am often required, out of necessity to get jobs done by deadlines, to leave for work at 3am and not get home till the evening. My jobs is physically demanding with repeatitive fast pace physical labor which isn't hard but the repetitiveness and pace of work for King hours makes it taxing in the body (shoulders and back).

I have 5 young kids as well which adds to the demands, coaching 2 of their sports teams in the evenings, games on weekends etc.

I have been keeokeeokeeng this pace for several years and have gotten quite out of shape and packed on the weight to 230 lbs at only 5' 7". Not getting consistent good sleep due to demands along with my he tic schedule of responsibilities often leaves me feeling exhuasted.

I am working to make changes in my ability to manage my responsibilities and trying to make sure I get more consistaco rest and better diet and I am all set to start the S&S program and am serious about doing so (have already started).

I was looking as some of Paul Chek's material for tips on restoring health and he advocates not doing any serious working out until you restore certain aspects of your health. He says that to go for serious working out (like weights or Hit etc.) will only out more stress on your body when it is in poor health and can lead to worse health problems.

My question is, is this true? Should this be something I should be concerned about? I am seeking to change my diet and make sure I get better sleep etc. But should I wait to start S&S until I restore some aspects of health like not being in an exhuastive state of health?

He advicates what he calls "working in" which are forms of exercise that are not taxing on your body and stressful such as walking which can actually help clear stress but still give your body needed movement.

I desperately need to restore my health just so I can function and have energy left over for my wife and kids. At times I feel pathetic because I have no energy to give to my family outside of my responsibilities and I feel like an old man even though I am only 45. I shouldn't feel this way and want things to change. My goal is health and vitality and a#@ kicking as a side bennefit.

Thanks for your input.

@TMRowlett - Start with setting up a complete physical with your doctor. It's quite possible that some of the things that are bother you, sleep for one, could be a larger problem. If he/she says you are cleared for physical activity start with walking. Seems like a very basic thing but you would be amazed how just walking for 30-60 minutes a day can make a big difference, its the first exercise. S&S would be great a few days a week and slowly built up over time. If you see a doctor get a complete blood panel done, there could be some underlying issues detected that may be worked on that can help set you on the path to a lower bodyweight, which in turn may help you sleep better and make you feel better with more rest. Hope this helps.

Welcome @TMRowlett

That is a great question. Yes it is true that some "workout" programs can cost you more in added stress than they give you in added fitness or health.

Do you have a copy of S&S? The program starts with kettlebell deadlifts and get-ups with a shoe, or unweighted. Do this, and keep it low stress. Progress according to the book. Make sure to do the goblet squats and the rest of the warmup and stretches every time.

The biggest thing you can do is build a mindset of "practice", not "workout." That will keep you on the right side of stress.

Keep us posted. We're here to help!

@TMRowlett - Start with setting up a complete physical with your doctor. It's quite possible that some of the things that are bother you, sleep for one, could be a larger problem. If he/she says you are cleared for physical activity start with walking. Seems like a very basic thing but you would be amazed how just walking for 30-60 minutes a day can make a big difference, its the first exercise. S&S would be great a few days a week and slowly built up over time. If you see a doctor get a complete blood panel done, there could be some underlying issues detected that may be worked on that can help set you on the path to a lower bodyweight, which in turn may help you sleep better and make you feel better with more rest. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the invite input. Going for a physical may be a good idea I may have to do that.

Just to clarify for anyone responding my struggle with getting regular sleep is not from not being able to sleep but from my schedule getting in the way. I often have to get up at 3am but I don't get to go to bed early to get enough sleep. Because I have kids and a lot of responsibilities the train keeps moving even if I have time to sleep or not. When I do sleep I sleep fine. I am trying to work on managing my schuoe better to make sure I have time to get the sleep needed for good health.

Welcome @TMRowlett

That is a great question. Yes it is true that some "workout" programs can cost you more in added stress than they give you in added fitness or health.

Do you have a copy of S&S? The program starts with kettlebell deadlifts and get-ups with a shoe, or unweighted. Do this, and keep it low stress. Progress according to the book. Make sure to do the goblet squats and the rest of the warmup and stretches every time.

The biggest thing you can do is build a mindset of "practice", not "workout." That will keep you on the right side of stress.

Keep us posted. We're here to help!

Thanks for your comment. I do have a copy of S&S as well as ETK. I have used to kettlebells off and on over the last several years but just didn't stick to a program. It has always been hard to fit it in time wise. I believe my form to be pretty good both in the swing and the TGU.

I actually already started the S&S program and I ran across the information that lead me to question if I should start with S&S or focus on diet stretching etc. first and wait to start the program.

My concern is more just from a stress issue. I feel fine directly when doing the program. I recover pretty well from the swings and fairly quickely. When I finish the swings and TGU I don't feel taxed but feel good. I enjoy doing the peogram. I was in pretty good shape 10 years ago and have been involved in competitive sports my whole life so even though I am out of shape I should be able to get back into shape fairly quickely.

It just got me concerned because my over all goal is for the S&S to improve my health and to help me regain my energy. I just got concerned from the information that it might have the opposite effect. I just figured I would pose the question here.

Yeah, sounds like you're in good shape to continue. That feeling of not being too taxed is one key to let you know you're on the right track. The other side of that coin is actual progress, because it's possible to go too far towards non-stressful, where you're not really doing enough to disrupt homeostasis. So if you're seeing improvements as you go -- ability to move well, ability to move more weight with the same effort, ability to swing or getup with weight you previously couldn't, improvement in overall energy and stamina, better muscle definition, improved body composition, etc. -- then you are on the right track there too. Think of it as a "sweet spot" -- too hard and you're adding too much stress (paying too high of a price for your progress), too easy and you may not be stressed but you're not making good use of your time or meeting your goals. With S&S being a daily or near-daily program, it's generally better to err on the side of too easy. The accumulated time and habits will add up over time and you'll feel great while you do it... Which is a key component of building a sustainable habit of training.

This is really something to talk to your doctor about.

Individuals on an internet forum will never be able to properly clear you for exercise the way a doctor can.

It doesn’t require a physician to tell you that the easiest way to manage your weight is to eat healthy food, have a good diet and also to exercise. Dietary fads and fast weight loss schemes could work for a time, but most men and women “slide” only to have the weight on again. This is because the key to long-term weight loss is reducing excess fat and work out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom