all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Heart attack risk shoveling snow?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Funny this came up - I have been telling friends for months now that the proof positive for me that swings and deadlifts are the best things ordinary civilians can do was this summer, when I had to shovel giant piles of gravel for days on a major landscaping project. And we shovel lots of snow in Denver - you never really hear about anything particularly bad from that activity as opposed to any other.

Funny this came up - I have been telling friends for months now that the proof positive for me that swings and deadlifts are the best things ordinary civilians can do was this summer, when I had to shovel giant piles of gravel for days on a major landscaping project. And we shovel lots of snow in Denver - you never really hear about anything particularly bad from that activity as opposed to any other.
Not many sedentary folk with low octane diets will take on several tons of gravel piled in their driveways. Some will take on the snow during an even more sedentary winter.

It wouldnt surprise me if my blood pressure and pulse DOUBLED during a heavy lift.
No doubt. This paper says, "Extremely high blood pressure elevations of up to 345/245 mmHg were observed during the lifts. Squatting caused the highest pressure rises.." This one says "Systolic and diastolic blood pressures rose rapidly to extremely high values during the concentric contraction phase for each lift and declined with the eccentric contraction. The greatest peak pressures occurred during the double-leg press where the mean value for the group was 320/250 mmHg, with pressures in one subject exceeding 480/350 mmHg."

It even goes way up during cardio. I was amazed when I did a treadmill stress test with a blood pressure cuff on that my BP and HR went from a baseline 120/80 and HR 65 (baseline; sitting just before the test) up to 200/70 and HR 165 at the highest exertion, jogging on incline. I asked the tech if that was typical and she said, oh, yes. The Systolic goes up steadily as exertion increases. Diastolic actually lowers slightly, so in that way it is different from heavy lifting.

But of course, neither of these is a problem, as long as one trains for it and the body is used to it. It's chronic high BP that is problematic.

Shoveling snow = moving load with a 3rd class lever - it can be very hard going on wet snow involving a ton of core strain. Probably the only real high intensity exercise a lot of the victims have had all year, and for many years...
I have a similar experience.

In summer 2018 I attended to a 10-day mediation course. During those 10 days I nearly got zero activity, the heaviest thing that I done was some light push up and washing cloth.

In the last day we did some gardening work. I was 22 back then and had trained for a few years; but after 10 days of no real activity doing garder work was really, really miserable!

I work in underground construction and used to shovel all damn day lol. I had a Forman who was in his 60s and in bad shape die from mixing cement bags. He was likely already having a heart attack from the morning because he complained of “heartburn” when he started shoveling it just took him out. Wasn’t a fun thing to see, but he was overweight didn’t necessarily exercise regularly, and never seemed healthy. On the other hand I worked with some guys who were in their mid 50s and would be going stride for stride with me in my 20s at all hours of the day and night. Those guys were pretty healthy and took care of themselves. Also I recall seeing my great grandpa in his 80s still using a shovel and pick in his front yard. It’s all about never stopping your training, in hopes that you can continue to do physical activity into your twilight years.

Yeah, everything that involves a temporary raise in blood pressure might be dangerous for overweight individuals whose daily physical efforts are limited to lifting bottles of beer and Pepsi max. To avoid the little activity that life may actually demand of them during winter season, is probably the least healthy interpretation of the problem, tough. Inactivity is an extremeley well documented risk factor by itself, and frequent acitivty is obviously, the only rational cure.

Going from complete inactivity to participating in triatlons etc is obviously not a wise idea, but not completely uncommon in a time where performing such feats is a mark of success, often displayed in social media.

When we get a decent snowfall, 10cm+ (over 3 inches) or very wet snow, I usually use a snow sled shovel. Makes for a different kind of workout and can be much faster. It's easier on the low back and shoulders too.

I read or heard somewhere recently that one measure of health is the ability to break into a full sprint without any warmup. (If anyone knows the source, please let us know.) It seems a reasonable metric to me.

-S-
Shovel lift, interesting...

I've wondered before what's the best way to get in shape for shoveling snow. I suppose actually doing that activity would be best if there was a way to be consistent and stay on a schedule. Otherwise, focus on posterior chain and core? Perhaps the full contact twist and/or the shovel lift?
Just work it in with a crappy spin lock bar. You’ll need a gardening glove for the hand that makes contact with the spin lock grooves at the offset end or you will get steel splinters in your hand.

I read or heard somewhere recently that one measure of health is the ability to break into a full sprint without any warmup. (If anyone knows the source, please let us know.) It seems a reasonable metric to me.

-S-
I’ve thought about this often. Think how many folk these days have never sprinted for anything. That must shock the heart something chronic. This is a Kevism but I think heart disease is a product of the fact we don’t get chased by smilodon or flat faced bears any more. Ugruk and Shagrak or any of our cavemen ancestors where keeling over from an unsuspected sprint. Paul Chek again claims that the first documented heart attack in America was in 1929. I don’t know the actual facts of that or if it’s bullet proof fact. During the plague in London there are deaths documented as “frighted” and some folk have tried to say that was heart attacks but again I’m not to clued up on these things. Maybe in a Darwinian sense the whole need to be able to quickly sprint weeded out any potential bum tickers by either death by smilodon or heart attack but who knows.

When we get a decent snowfall, 10cm+ (over 3 inches) or very wet snow, I usually use a snow sled shovel. Makes for a different kind of workout and can be much faster. It's easier on the low back and shoulders too.
Can you give us a picture or a link?

-S-

Another factor is that the shoveler’s goal is to clear the driveway and he ain’t stopping until he’s cleared the darn driveway! I have coached overweight, weak people. We eased into learning the swing and stopped well before the trainee was flailing and out of breath. We then built upon each previous session. Back to the sedentary person shoveling: there’s no easing into it and no shoveling coach to stop him when he’s flailing. He’s gonna charge right in and go until the task is finished!

Another factor is that the shoveler’s goal is to clear the driveway and he ain’t stopping until he’s cleared the darn driveway! I have coached overweight, weak people. We eased into learning the swing and stopped well before the trainee was flailing and out of breath. We then built upon each previous session. Back to the sedentary person shoveling: there’s no easing into it and no shoveling coach to stop him when he’s flailing. He’s gonna charge right in and go until the task is finished!

This is a great point! People who are used to training will be much more likely to take a break.

Added to that, if one isn't thinking about it, they (I) tend to take shovels full depth. If the snow is heavy I make a shorter pass. If I'm thinking clearly I'll shave the top half off with a longer pass, and then come back for the bottom. The amount of snow weight is the same but the resistance driving the shovel in is a lot less.

The toughest part is the end where the plows have deposited a berm of snow 3x as dense as what came off the driveway. I live on a cul-de-sac, right hand side, so when the plow comes down nearly the entire street width is deposited on my side, neighbor across the street has a tiny little bump to clear...The things you don't consider when buying a house.

I mentioned this earlier - the cool weather makes it easier for people to ignore overworking and dehydration as well.

My understanding is that it's the high level of exertion, and nothing to do specifically with the activity of shoveling snow, that is the risk factor. As a group, people older than 55 are overweight, weak, and lack conditioning - if this doesn't describe you, then my non-medical recommendation to you is to use common sense shoveling snow just as you would for any other physical activity but don't otherwise avoid it.

-S-
I think Steve hit the nail on the head with this one.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom