all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Heart Rate for Aerobic Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Be aware that lactate threshold is a moving target... gets higher with dedicated training. Elite athletes test it multiple times to reset their HR training zones as they cycle from off-season to build to maintenance phases.
Yes indeed.
Not only is the LT (AnT) a moving target so is the AeT. Both of which are improved by dedicated and proper training. In fact the AeT is more ‘trainable’ resulting in a much narrower gap between it and the AnT. i.e. Zones 1-2 increase in range, whilst zone 3 decreases.

I'm enjoying using and experimenting with my new Polar HR10 for aerobic development purposes while doing KB ballistics and complexes:

-trying to ballpark my actual aerobic threshold by observing the bpm at the point when my breathing gets labored
-using it as a quantifiable talk test I.e. bpm gets down to 78. (somewhat arbitrary)
-devising custom MAF tests such as what is the average bpm for 10 sets x 5 snatches EMOM - will it go down over time? or can I increase it while staying under my aerobic threshold given that this produces a series of spikes instead of steady state activity?

Good clean fun as I try to develop aerobically in the limited space of my basement

You can also set your heart rates off your max heart rate, if you know it. It can be hard to be accurate about it. I test about once a year, and it takes me about a year to forget how miserable it is, and when I set Zone 2 it is always within a beat or two of what my MAF would be.

I have Training for the Uphill Athlete, and I honestly think it has limited value for most people who are not competitive athletes.

You can also set your heart rates off your max heart rate, if you know it. It can be hard to be accurate about it. I test about once a year, and it takes me about a year to forget how miserable it is, and when I set Zone 2 it is always within a beat or two of what my MAF would be.

I have Training for the Uphill Athlete, and I honestly think it has limited value for most people who are not competitive athletes.
It’s not exactly easy (or safe) to measure your HRMax. How do you go about doing it?

I would respectfully disagree about your comments regarding TFUA (to a point). I actually find a great deal of value. And I am not a competitive athlete.

Steve, try a lab test to get best results. The HR estimates are all based on statistcal analysis and unless you are Mr Joe Average the calculated HR zones will be wrong. HR is a proxy for VO2max. HR is easy and cheap to measure, VO2max is difficult and expensive, hence the popularity of belts and rings and watches. Have a look at this post and the linked graphs to get an idea of how innaccurate the HR indexes are for any individual person ........ Kettlebell - A new product with Pavel

It’s not exactly easy (or safe) to measure your HRMax. How do you go about doing it?

I would respectfully disagree about your comments regarding TFUA (to a point). I actually find a great deal of value. And I am not a competitive athlete.
I usually use a 30 minute time trial.

The authors state in Training for the Uphill Athlete that their system is for competitive athletes. Don't get me wrong, it is a great book, with tons of information.

@Coyote
There are one or two pretty hard HRMax self tests out there but I’ve always felt a bit leery about telling people about them. “Offwidth told me to do this and I had a grabber…” kind of tests. :oops:

Yeah I know what Steve and Scott say about competitive athletes but I think they are selling themselves short. Or it comes down to maybe semantics as to what defines ‘competitive’. Some of us are very keen about our performance in our lifestyle activities. Example being Alpinism. Maybe that’s competitive maybe not. (Competing against oneself?) I have relied on Steve’s (and earlier Mark’s) knowledge to help me train for some pretty significant endeavors.

But I think that their approach and philosophy (even if not followed to the letter) can provide value to others who aspire to move fast in the mountains, even if they don’t have lofty goals.

Nonetheless, as you say, it is a great book (books) and does indeed have a lot of information. And for those inclined, some inspirational stories…

I usually use a 30 minute time trial.

The authors state in Training for the Uphill Athlete that their system is for competitive athletes. Don't get me wrong, it is a great book, with tons of information.
The 30 minute time trial is what Joe Friel prescribes for finding a good estimate for the lactate threshold HR (LTHR), which would be the average HR for the last 20 minutes... Safer than an unsupervised max HR test. More recently, he suggested a shorter, 20-minute time trial with some data adjustment.

Friel is all about setting HR zones based on LTHR instead of max HR or VO2Max. I find this approach a logical one based on its merits, and accessible by a broader audience than just elite athletes.

My 10 Cents.

I think for traditional aerobic movements (bike, walk, run, row etc) HR monitors are great for helping support the intent of the training session.

With regards to use whilst swinging / snatching I think HR monitors / lactate/ gas exchange tests are a waste of money.

If you are able to repeat set, after set, after set, over prolonged periods of time without a significant drop off in work done in a set time, then by definition the ‘work’ is sustainable - and therefore aerobic, and therefore HR becomes irrelevant IMHO

These replies have been quite useful. I wasn’t aware of the uphill athlete people.

As a result, I’ve just purchased their 12 week trekking program, which is done in the gym. This particular program is definitely not for a competitive athlete — some of their other paid for programs might be. I can’t speak about the book, I don’t have it.

This program is mainly treadmill incline work, steppers, stairs and cross trainers for differing lengths of time at different inclines matched to HR. Boring for some, not for others, but perfect for three months of the winter in the gym.

Four days a week of various programmed aerobic work with two days of strength training (I’m using a different program for strength) over 12 weeks.

Looking forward to this. Nice integration by them of the program, with detailed descriptions of each day’s training into my iPhone calendar too. Completely takes the “thinking” away from what to do.

I will add to the conversation by reporting what I did. A few years ago, I was running a little again. Not much, mind you, but I wore a HR monitor for some of it. I don't think any of my runs were more than a mile, if that. At the end of one of my short runs, I decided, knowing how far I was from home, to pick up the pace gradually so that, by the time I got home, I'd be running as fast as I could for the last 100 yards or so. And I think that's where I hit 179 on the Polar app once I'd downloaded the data. My age would have 64 or so at the time. It was my crude approximation of what I thought they do on treadmill tests in a lab. No humans or animals were harmed during the course of this study. :)

I honestly didn't expect it to be accurate, but this was shortly after I'd started using the HRM, and I was working with a max calculated by formula and knew my max HR was higher than that, so I just wanted a higher number to plug in. A real number would have been nice but, for free and for how easy it was to "test," at least I had something I knew was more realistic. I also remembered, a decade or two earlier, hitting 184 on a HRM doing the same thing, but at that time I was actually running distance regularly - I did the same thing then, but it was at the end of a 5-mile run instead of the shorter one a few years ago.

These tests are interesting data to have about one's self. I hope to do the telomere (or something along those lines) and also this HRM-in-a-lab-done-by-pros tests sometime in the relatively near future.

The 30 minute time trial is what Joe Friel prescribes for finding a good estimate for the lactate threshold HR (LTHR), which would be the average HR for the last 20 minutes... Safer than an unsupervised max HR test. More recently, he suggested a shorter, 20-minute time trial with some data adjustment.
The thing that I liked most about the Jack Daniel's book was that VDOT (his term) number was based off racing performances. I never considered what it actually represented in physiological terms. The recommended paces for intervals, repeats, tempo runs, etc., all worked great for me. I've never been a particularly good distance runner, but to take 35 seconds off my best 5k time at age 45 was pretty cool to be able to do, and I'm confident it was training according to the guidance in that book that was what changed and made a difference for me.

FWIW, his guidance for what he called a tempo run was that it was limited to 20 minutes, regardless of your pace. As I was a 20-minutes-and-change 5k runner, it was easy for me to run to the 3-mile mark of a local 5k course. Pace was, if memory serves, about :30/mile slower than my then-current 5k race best, and you only did it once a week, no more often than that.

-S-

I will add to the conversation by reporting what I did. A few years ago, I was running a little again. Not much, mind you, but I wore a HR monitor for some of it. I don't think any of my runs were more than a mile, if that. At the end of one of my short runs, I decided, knowing how far I was from home, to pick up the pace gradually so that, by the time I got home, I'd be running as fast as I could for the last 100 yards or so. And I think that's where I hit 179 on the Polar app once I'd downloaded the data. My age would have 64 or so at the time. It was my crude approximation of what I thought they do on treadmill tests in a lab. No humans or animals were harmed during the course of this study. :)

I honestly didn't expect it to be accurate, but this was shortly after I'd started using the HRM, and I was working with a max calculated by formula and knew my max HR was higher than that, so I just wanted a higher number to plug in. A real number would have been nice but, for free and for how easy it was to "test," at least I had something I knew was more realistic. I also remembered, a decade or two earlier, hitting 184 on a HRM doing the same thing, but at that time I was actually running distance regularly - I did the same thing then, but it was at the end of a 5-mile run instead of the shorter one a few years ago.

These tests are interesting data to have about one's self. I hope to do the telomere (or something along those lines) and also this HRM-in-a-lab-done-by-pros tests sometime in the relatively near future.

The thing that I liked most about the Jack Daniel's book was that VDOT (his term) number was based off racing performances. I never considered what it actually represented in physiological terms. The recommended paces for intervals, repeats, tempo runs, etc., all worked great for me. I've never been a particularly good distance runner, but to take 35 seconds off my best 5k time at age 45 was pretty cool to be able to do, and I'm confident it was training according to the guidance in that book that was what changed and made a difference for me.

FWIW, his guidance for what he called a tempo run was that it was limited to 20 minutes, regardless of your pace. As I was a 20-minutes-and-change 5k runner, it was easy for me to run to the 3-mile mark of a local 5k course. Pace was, if memory serves, about :30/mile slower than my then-current 5k race best, and you only did it once a week, no more often than that.

-S-

Assuming you were wearing a chest strap when you measured a 179 HRmax (which might be sub max still) at age 64, then you're 23 beats higher than the 220 - Age formula. Genetics have a big say on HRMax, though we have control over maintaining its level as we age.

It's safe to say that the MAF formula (180 - Age = 116) is underestimating your aerobic threshold, even after adding the suggested +5 adjustment. You're probably better off working with Zone 1 for your MAF runs.

Daniels' Zone divisions (and correspondingly, pace tables) are perfect for someone who tracks their VO2Max throughout their training season and Friel's are perfect for those who track their LTHR. They are both speaking the same language, really, though Daniels hides the details and presents ready-made tables instead.

Both VO2Max and LTHR track anaerobic fitness which can change by 6-10% during the training season (as they should by wisely programming seasonal recovery). Setting HR Zones purely on HRMax ignores this important fact.

Here's another important fact: One can have a superior VO2Max/LTHR and still have a severely inadequate aerobic capacity. That was me back in July as revealed by a Conconi test I did then. The result of doing high volume high density Q&D snatches then C+P doubles sets for a few months without any sub-aerobic training.

Honestly, my judgements on the Uphill Athlete guys was based purely on their Mountain Running stuff, which is my interest. There is a huge difference between people who can compete in Ultra distance mountain runs, and people who only want to experience them. I fall in the later.

I tend to blend my training, because what I want is a blended result. I like being a guy who can run a long way, and still be what I consider "strong", at least for me.

I tend to blend my training, because what I want is a blended result. I like being a guy who can run a long way, and still be what I consider "strong", at least for me.
Totally agree with this one. That’s the goal here too. Or, as I said to my strength coach: I’m happy to sacrifice a bit of absolute strength or what my 1RM could be, if it means keeping some mass down and being able trek or run in the mountains. I’d rather be able to deadlift 400 lbs and run in the mountains than deadlift 500 lbs + and struggle in the mountains — although for some lucky folks the latter might be possible too.

I was.

-S-

I'm 8 beats above the 220 - Age formula, so I set my MAF runs limit at 5 beats higher than the 180 - Age formula. My boy's PT (who's advising me as a bonus) is not happy with that but I'm ignoring him on this one.

To correct myself regarding Daniles', he emphasizes vVO2Max (velocity at VO2Max) which embeds running economy into his calculations and makes his pace tables even more valuable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom