all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Heart Rate/ GPS watch

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Coyote

Level 6 Valued Member
What kind of equipment is everyone using? My old Garmin 210 finally shot craps and I am in the market. I prefer a watch over the straps/apps on phone. I am gonna have to limit price to under $300.

Any help would be appreciated!

If you want accuracy then you are going to have to use a chest strap.

I have always used Polar products. No issues, other than they don't last forever.

If you want accuracy then you are going to have to use a chest strap.

I have always used Polar products. No issues, other than they don't last forever.

Yea my Garmin came with a chest strap, but the 210 was not even blue tooth compatible. I have a fitbit (gift) that is not even close on heartrate.

As a middle aged guy who is really only training for health, and is a carpenter by trade, I can not justify spending a huge amount on this.

It is not only the accuracy of a chest strap, if you want to register HR data from a session which includes Snatches, Cleans, Presses, Front Squats or Get Ups it is quite nice to have a chest strap and not to risk your watch on your wrist.

Whoop band! Great app also has arm band attachment. Charger goes on top of unit while you wear it on your wrist. Can also wear in shower

I have my Fenix 5 on my ankle during all these exercises, works quite nice :)

That I never thought of that option... ?
Will give that a try soon!

Managed a few sessions by turning face of the watch to the inside of the wrist, but the watchband still is annoying with a kettlebell in the rack position.... and definitely not comfortable during long sessions.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

Looks like I figured out my old Garmin, though. I was given some long sleeve athletic shirts for Christmas, and for some reason it never dawned on me that my problems started, when I started wearing these shirts. After doing some research, I found that it's a common problem for static electricity to mess with chest straps. I was getting huge spikes in my HR, even to the point that I had quit using my HR watch.
I trained this morning in my old cotton shirts, and zero problems.
Thanks for the advice, but this old thing will last for a bit!

+1 on the Garmin 5. Great watch. Very robust and seems to be accurate. I tried reversing the watch for snatches etc but it irritated me. Swap wrists if using a single bell. I had an Apple Watch which was really easy to use and I liked the activity rings that they use with the watch. But on balance I like prefer the Garmin.

Apple watch has been great for me. I have compared it to a chest strap and it's very accurate. The exception is if you are doing an activity with that arm loaded - like a get up. It won't keep up in real time then, but it's a good watch and I like that it helps with health beyond just the workout time.

Hi folks. I’m looking to buy a watch for both sport and daily use. I won’t be buying the HRM (yet). I don’t run (might some day), I do walk, ruck and do KB training. I had been eyeing Garmin 3s but I am open to any suggestions.

My questions are:
- what are the most useful functions to have in such training
- does anyone do tgu, presses or snatches with the watch on working arm? I saw already the answers a above. Would wearing it rotated the the inside and protecting it with a armband make any sense?

It would be useful to have a watch but I’m not sure it’s not an overkill to buy such one to be honest.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

M

What kind of equipment is everyone using? My old Garmin 210 finally shot craps and I am in the market. I prefer a watch over the straps/apps on phone. I am gonna have to limit price to under $300.

Any help would be appreciated!
Suunto Ambit3 currently on sale on the Suunto site, $269. I like mine.

Hi folks. I’m looking to buy a watch for both sport and daily use. I won’t be buying the HRM (yet). I don’t run (might some day), I do walk, ruck and do KB training. I had been eyeing Garmin 3s but I am open to any suggestions.

My questions are:
- does anyone do tgu, presses or snatches with the watch on working arm? I saw already the answers a above. Would wearing it rotated the the inside and protecting it with a armband make any sense?

It would be useful to have a watch but I’m not sure it’s not an overkill to buy such one to be honest.

Thanks

M
Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, $239 no chest strap, $269 with, spend the extra $30, wear chest strap and set watch to the side for KB training. Pretty good range on the signal, 10-15 ft. I'm guessing.

My questions are:

Thanks

M
Molson, I use a Polar M200 watch or a Polar OH1 on the forearm, also have an H10 but absolutely hate chest straps.. I've found the readings from the watch and OH1 comparable to the chest strap (within a small margin) so... good enough for my purposes.
The M200 also tracks sleep activity giving you an idea about how much restful sleep you're getting vs total time. I got the M200 off eBay for 106.00 brand new, usually they'll sell for a bit more, at that price point I'm really pleased with the watch performance.. beware though, one clean with a 32k bell broke the dial when I forgot to take it off, so I'm on my second watch. Rotating the watch during kb training didn't work for me, and it would eventually mangle the strap.

The OH1 is great for kettlebell training, and I use it for running as well. though I do prefer the watch for convenience. OH1 is rechargeable and I've found them to be fairly durable. You can also use OH1 without the phone for a run session as it records the session until you can pair it to the phone app, very convenient at times.

A key consideration is whether you have a smart phone and if you want to have it with you while training. If yes and yes, then I recommend getting a Polar H10 and use the free apps on your phone for the data.

I have my Fenix 5 on my ankle during all these exercises, works quite nice :)
I discovered another workaround for the smartwatch. I hooked a small carabiner between the ends of the watch strap, and since it's silicon and stretchy, it fits well enough on the forearm or biceps, and so you can see well the ongoing stats and use watch controls without doing too much yoga like if it was in the ankle. I assume it can be nit only a carabiner, but any small connecting device, like narrow velcro strap, or anything else.
So if the heart rate detection of your watch is decent enough for you, it can save you a purchase of strap monitor. Clumsy, yet functional.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom