all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Heart Rate Monitor with Alarms

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

As far as I remember, I did not buy any in-app purchases and was able to set low- and hi-alarms for my jogging sessions. Not 100% sure any more, its quite some time ago.

Was researching proper iOS apps for quite some time today that would just measure heart rate from a strap and being able to set an alarm. Really hard to find to be honest. Seems like a market niche. Most apps that can do this only measure via the built in camera of the phone and then there are all those big overloaded fitness apps. Maybe I should start write one. How much would you pay for such an app @Steve Freides ? Just kicking off some market research ... :p

How cool! And it also says it's suitable for swimming.

Thought so, too, @Anna C ! BUT the H7 can do that as well. Have checked the specs of the H7 and it transmits on the same frequency where they claim its suitable for in-water transmission.

@Steve Freides The ratings on German Amazon are not that good (total of 3 out of 5 stars) ...

Would go with the H7 for couple of reasons:
- Established brand
- Reviews excellent (4.5 out of 5 stars) on German Amazon
- Also compatible to Runtastic and other apps
- If someday your wife or you decides you need a watch while working out (e.g. running), get one from Polar and use the H7 with it for accurate readings.
- Price is the same

Am not affiliated with Polar, I just like their products :)

I've got Polar H7 week ago and used it intensively everyday - the best thing is that you are totally independent with choice of app to use with it. Had two Sigma heart rate monitors with watches before and their usage was actually limited to running or cycling - watch wasnt comfortable to wear while lifting. With Polar H7 I put my smartphone in the place where I can see it well and can use with many heart rate apps. Really recommend.

Last edited:
I've had Polar F4 like 12 years now. Didn't use it in the past much, but now almost daily. Recently changed battery to it myself.

I tried the zone lock feature on my m400 yesterday. It's not super loud but it works just fine on the shelf/floor. The H7 would position you to get a watch at a later date if you ever start training something that a watch would be better than the phone. I found a good sale at Best Buy online last month; Hear Rate Monitors USA has them for $47 right now.

I will check amazon - no, we haven't decided on a belt already. It seems my wife has been willing to watch a clock for her swings and, for now, that will do. I expect we'll get one of these sooner or later but now it doesn't seem to be as pressing a need.

The H10 seems to be available already (there are already 3 reviews of it) and it seems a key new feature is the ability to store a single session onboard without need a device like a watch to record it in real time.

-S-

The H10 seems to be available already (there are already 3 reviews of it) and it seems a key new feature is the ability to store a single session onboard without need a device like a watch to record it in real time.

Exactly, IMO the biggest feature. Especially for swimmers. The belt also has a new closing mechanism. The H7 has one flaw: The strap does come off from time to time depending on the movement. Does happen rarely, but does happen.

After more than one week of testing the H10, I see two huge advantages over the H7:

- The readings / the connection is more stable. No more weird jumps of the heart rate, especially in the beginning of the session. Never lost a connection during any of the sessions.
- The belt has more little rubber nobs on it. Stays better in place. Also has a better closing mechanism that can not come lose on its own.

The only advantage of the H7 right now is price, since it gets sold off for some really good prices.

@Steve Freides, @Anna C, @aciampa , @Bro Mo

If you haven't found a phone app that has a high and low end alarm, I found one. At least on the android side, it's called SGT (sport gear tracker). You can customise the visual side of the hrm with colored zones and set individual alarms for high and low heart rates with sound clips of your choice. It is not as sexy of an app as motiFIT but it is free, it works and syncs up fine with my polar h7.

I had been using the motiFIT this spring. The alarms on the SGT app will be nice for training aerobic capacity this winter on my off season, or at least keep me honest.

Anyway I'm sure others have found other alternatives as well.

Karl

Last edited:
Good thread! I am going to order H10. My H7 have been choppy and its performance degraded quickly.

Any consensus of android app that alarms on upper/lower setting? I have been looking for that too.

@Abdul Rasheed ,

By no means an exhaustive search, the only android app I've found with high/low alarms is the SGT app. As stated above MotiFIT only has a visual. I'm sure there are other apps, but those were the apps that worked for me with the H7.

Last edited:
its almost a year since this thread has had comments. im also looking for a hrm that will alert high or low levellevel. I am using amazfit bip, along with Amazfit tools that has this feature but being that its a watch the readings doesnt seem to be accurate. it works but a chest strap monitor might work better. should i get the h10?

An H10 question - how does one wash/clean the strap?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

They say remove monitor from strap and rinse strap after every use, wipe with mild soapy water every so often. You can also wash the strap in washing machine (in laundry bag) if it gets bad.

I usually just wipe mine with soapy water every now and then.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom