all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heart rate monitor

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Picked up a polar 7, here’s my first workout, split into presses and swings: ROP heavy day, 16kg, 3x5, 2x4 ladders, 130 swings in 7 min. Tried to go a little easier on the swings as my heart rate jumped way up there.
A610F851-5230-44BD-8552-D6C07DDEF009.png 3F9D4199-38ED-457B-B1F0-55BC50B4DE0E.png

Picked up a polar 7, here’s my first workout, split into presses and swings: ROP heavy day, 16kg, 3x5, 2x4 ladders, 130 swings in 7 min. Tried to go a little easier on the swings as my heart rate jumped way up there.
View attachment 6142 View attachment 6143

Looks like a good pace on the ROP side, for the swing chart you said you backed off a bit, 130 swings in 7 mins is a good pace too.
You can also do the swings A+A style letting the HR come down each time until breathing is easy and see what that looks and feels like. Don't exceed 10 seconds work when doing A+A though, I like to do swings this way as it's easy to accumulate volume and you don't feel like you got hit by a truck in the morning.
Anyway the HRM is a fun way to monitor different aerobic strategies, you might look at swing clusters too, each strategy yields different CVS benefits. VWC is an awesome program too, completely different but the WTH effects for me have been profound.

54A717FF-4786-45AE-A7F9-C56FD7E0E5FD.png
Looks like a good pace on the ROP side, for the swing chart you said you backed off a bit, 130 swings in 7 mins is a good pace too.
You can also do the swings A+A style letting the HR come down each time until breathing is easy and see what that looks and feels like. Don't exceed 10 seconds work when doing A+A though, I like to do swings this way as it's easy to accumulate volume and you don't feel like you got hit by a truck in the morning.
Anyway the HRM is a fun way to monitor different aerobic strategies, you might look at swing clusters too, each strategy yields different CVS benefits. VWC is an awesome program too, completely different but the WTH effects for me have been profound.

Tried to do this on the light day during the snatches. Pretty fun to figure out how many in a row I can do without going over my MAF. 7 seems perfect right now. I liked how I felt afterwards!

How’s the VWC? The website seems vague and grandiose at the same time, what does it involve?

54A717FF-4786-45AE-A7F9-C56FD7E0E5FD.png

@Steve Freides I love all the numbers!

I've found it beneficial to adjust my zones using the Karvonen method here:. Finding your max heart rate with a run ending in a full sprint is the best but using 220-age for max will likely work ok. The more important part has been adjusting the zone ranges. @mprevost sent me a zones guide once that I assume is on his site somewhere. His zone guide ranges align almost identically to the Karvonen method.

How’s the VWC? The website seems vague and grandiose at the same time, what does it involve?

Lots of snatching and driving up HR to MVO2 levels, it forces certain heart adaptations.
VWC is awesome, I recommend the e-book on kindle, KJ explains it much better than I could.

Lots of snatching and driving up HR to MVO2 levels, it forces certain heart adaptations.
VWC is awesome, I recommend the e-book on kindle, KJ explains it much better than I could.

Between the programming in the book and your HR plotting, how difficult would it be in your opinion to cross this with other movement patterns like sandbag shouldering?

Maybe as easy as a specified %RM of a reasonable whole body movement plugged into the program or is there more to consider?

Between the programming in the book and your HR plotting, how difficult would it be in your opinion to cross this with other movement patterns like sandbag shouldering?

Maybe as easy as a specified %RM of a reasonable whole body movement plugged into the program or is there more to consider?
The main difference that comes to mind would be TUL increasing, probably to the point of changing the basis of the program. Snatching is a quick burst of power rather than the heave it would take to sandbag. I would do the sandbag work in a cluster format as I believe it would be very good at driving up HR. Another factor in VWC is the sheer volume of reps, sandbagging like that would kill me.

The main difference that comes to mind would be TUL increasing, probably to the point of changing the basis of the program. Snatching is a quick burst of power rather than the heave it would take to sandbag. I would do the sandbag work in a cluster format as I believe it would be very good at driving up HR. Another factor in VWC is the sheer volume of reps, sandbagging like that would kill me.

Ahhh, but what it is was only 30# of rubber mulch? You could also do it as a front/ bearhug hold Good Morning to alternating shoulders, never setting it down. Thinking about it, it would be tough as there is no real momentum to be harnessed at the bottom...maybe a 25# bag...:D

Was just speculating, seems if you could get the effort per rep dialed in you could use the programming for a lot of movements.

Ahhh, but what it is was only 30# of rubber mulch? You could also do it as a front/ bearhug hold Good Morning to alternating shoulders, never setting it down. Thinking about it, it would be tough as there is no real momentum to be harnessed at the bottom...maybe a 25# bag...:D

Was just speculating, seems if you could get the effort per rep dialed in you could use the programming for a lot of movements.

Yes you could, it wouldn't be the architect's exact program but the benefits of what you propose would be substantial I believe. With your talent for programming I'm sure you could come up with something awesome

here’s my MAF attempt while mountain biking 12 miles/2400 ft

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't get my HR to stay even remotely steady on a bike... ;)

Yeah all you can do sometimes is try to stay out of the red zone by using the granny gears.

Keeping it steady isn't the goal, just keeping below the maximum. So, let it bounce around. Route and gear selection are important. The goal, according to Maffetone, is to so develop the aerobic system that getting your HR up to MAF becomes difficult. Apparently so,e people get to that point.

I will say I certainly felt less fatigued overall trying to go as slow as possible through steeper sections instead of punching steep climbs. It was cool to correlate my HR with exactly how I was feeling and I was able to give more gas a few times too.

@Neal Sivula yeah no single speeds for me.

@Anna C it was crazy how much variation was happening, even in going uphill. But according to my monitor, I spent 1:09 in the green, so that hopefully is building some base, even if 9 minutes were spent above that.

What I've always found interesting, and have struggled to explain to runners, is how little HR comes down when descending on the MTB. It isn't like coasting down on a road bike, and obviously the more technical the less recovery. Even more so on a HT. Runners think we lollygag downhill.

Did some searching on the forum and haven't found anything fully covering the topic. Those of you that use a heart rate monitor, what do you like about it? Do you think it helps? I'm curious about getting one myself to help keep swings in the maffetone range, and maybe more applicable for mountain biking, but also thinking I can get away with the talk test and this is just a new shiny piece of equipment that isn't really necessary. Thanks for the input!
I started using a Polar H10 to record my heart rate when practicing S&S. For about 3 months I have been using it to keep track of my heart rate while doing cardiovascular training on an exercise bike, a rower, and a Schwinn Airdyne. I think it is very helpful and use it for every training session. I don't have any problem with it moving around. I wear it so that it sits around the solar plexus area. I have worn it higher up and haven't been able to notice any difference in the data it gives me.
Today I used it for a HIIT session on my Airdyne. I started with a 5 minute light warm up and then did 8 sets of 30/90 intervals. That is 30 seconds of high intensity peddling and 90 seconds of light recovery peddling. Then about 9 minutes of light peddling for a cool down. If I use the 220 minus your age formula my max heart rate should be around 170 beats per minute. According to the Polar my heart rate got to 171 BPM for at least a short time.

Most of the time I use the H10 to make sure my heart rate stays below my MAF number but lately I have been experimenting with some HIIT sessions. I think the H10 is a great tool for showing me were my heart rate is while training. Occasionally while doing high intensity sessions it becomes obvious the H10 lost track of the heart rate for a short time but most of the time it seems pretty consistent.
upload_2018-9-8_19-32-23.png

Hi Jcorn, interesting post. I started using H10 chest strap relatively short time ago and use this in conjunction with Poar Beat app.Previously, used the FITBIT charge 2 however, quickly ditched this and will never use again.I have had some success with Polar H10 and definitely improvement on FITBIT.My only reservation working with H10 concerns HIIT workouts and sepcifically its unreliability of giving accurate heart rate readings above 150.

Usually, all HIIT sessions follow the same pattern, heart rate climbs to 150 and then in a blink of an eye jumps to 190 and then 220 bpm. This is disappointing at a such a crucial stage of my training for a half marathon.I have decided to dispense with H10 for HIIT seesions and rely on more traditional methods of heart rate monitoring.H10 is fine for steady state training

There appears to be a lack of feedback about this specific matter or perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place.

@redculver, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Polar has decent telephone tech support. I’ve used it a couple of times for my H10, which does not exhibit the problem you describe, so perhaps you want to get in touch with them. (My questions were all just new user questions- the H10 is my first HRM other than a few runs with one a decade or more ago. )

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom