all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Heart rate monitor?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor?

I've been doing some looking and there's a bewildering array of choices as well as some rather shocking prices. Most of them include a whole list of features that I don't feel a need for and would rather not pay for.

I'm just looking for something basic that works well. I'd prefer a strapless model if it's accurate enough. The only features that would be nice is if you can set an alert for when your heart rate goes over or under a certain amount. And an interval timer would be nice.

Thanks

Some things to consider:

There are basically three types of signals that send the data from the heart rate monitor to your watch/phone etc. There is ANT+, Bluetooth and Polar proprietary. If you are going to be using an IPhone or something similar, look for a HR monitor that is Bluetooth compatible. Many HR monitors are both Bluetooth and ANT+.

Second issue is optical vs chest strap. Optical devices are usually wrist mounted. The wrist is a terrible place to put an optical HR monitor, so accuracy, especially during exercise, is generally poor. Overall, the accuracy of the chest mounted HR monitor straps is best. Also, you can't really do heart rate variability with the optical sensors (yet).

If you really don't want a chest mounted strap, the only optical HR monitor I would recommend would be the Scosche Rhythm. I have one and have used it extensively for a couple of years. It works great because you can move it higher on the forearm or upper arm, much better placement for an HR monitor than the wrist. It is both Bluetooth and ANT+, so it sends data to your phone or in my case, my Suunto GPS watch.

If you go with a chest strap system, I prefer Polar. They are rock solid reliable. The H7 that was recommended is very good and uses a Bluetooth signal.

You can find reviews of most models over at dcrainmaker.com.

I use a Barry King chest stap HR monitor: cheap and works great with the HRV and MotiFit apps I use daily.

I strongly recommend a bluetooth one. I have a Garmin ANT+ strap and have to use a special adapter to get HRV on my phone, and even then most apps don't seem to work with it.

I went a cheapskate route of buying a used polar watch and bog standard chest strap to see how I would get on. Absolutely fine for determining maf. Quick glance at the wrist to see what's going on, pen and paper afterwards noting down the stuff. Old/new tech mix. A H7 bluetooth chest strap and app would be a whole lot less hassle!! Gonna get one sometime.
Stay away from fitbits for training purposes. As @mprevost, optical sensors are not as accurate at intensity but they are very good for accurate resting heart rate function over time.
If you have cash to spend on latest tech go and take a look at Whoop, www.whoop.com

It is an optical sensor that seems to do everything and according to their research and some reviews is very accurate. Track sleep, sleep cycles (rem, alpha, delta etc), heart function and hrv 24/7 and other stuff. It will tell you if, according to hrv, quality of sleep and all the other metrics it monitors whether or not today is going to be a good day to train. Or not. It is $500 though. That's a fair few kettlebells out of the training budget.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom