all posts post new thread

Nutrition Hearty nutrition

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kev

Level 6 Valued Member
I’m often described as a grumpy individual but folk who say that have never seen me in the kitchen when making hearty nutritious grub. With this in mind I like sharing recipes so that folk can improve on mine and share with me and so folk can try food they may or may not have tried before. I’m Scottish and I’m told my “mince n tatties” is pretty good so here we are
1lbs of mince meat
1 onion
2 carrots
A tin of peas (I prefer mushy peas)
2 stock cubes (oxo are best)
Brown your mince in a pan with the chopped onion. Chop your carrots and add them to the mince once browned. Add boiling water (submerge the mince etc but don’t drown it there should be mince emerging from the added water). Add the 2 oxo and the drained tin of peas and let it cook until the carrot is soft. Make mash potatoes how you see fit (I go generous with real butter and a splash of milk) serve and enjoy. Hearty winter grub. I like cooking so if anyone has a banging recipe they want to share then let’s keep this going. I think good tasting grub beats any bean counting paleo this, zone that, primal blah blah blah any day of the week.

I’m often described as a grumpy individual but folk who say that have never seen me in the kitchen when making hearty nutritious grub. With this in mind I like sharing recipes so that folk can improve on mine and share with me and so folk can try food they may or may not have tried before. I’m Scottish and I’m told my “mince n tatties” is pretty good so here we are
1lbs of mince meat
1 onion
2 carrots
A tin of peas (I prefer mushy peas)
2 stock cubes (oxo are best)
Brown your mince in a pan with the chopped onion. Chop your carrots and add them to the mince once browned. Add boiling water (submerge the mince etc but don’t drown it there should be mince emerging from the added water). Add the 2 oxo and the drained tin of peas and let it cook until the carrot is soft. Make mash potatoes how you see fit (I go generous with real butter and a splash of milk) serve and enjoy. Hearty winter grub. I like cooking so if anyone has a banging recipe they want to share then let’s keep this going. I think good tasting grub beats any bean counting paleo this, zone that, primal blah blah blah any day of the week.
Do you incorporate the mushy peas or serve them on the side?
My wife loves mushy peas. We had some with fish and chips last week but I'm not a huge fan.
Your recipe made me think of my mother inlaws Corned Beef Hash
Tinned corned beef, tinned baked beans, gravy and sliced boiled potatoes.
I'd add onions but she doesn't.
A proper heart warming cupboard tea.

Do you incorporate the mushy peas or serve them on the side?
My wife loves mushy peas. We had some with fish and chips last week but I'm not a huge fan.
Your recipe made me think of my mother inlaws Corned Beef Hash
Tinned corned beef, tinned baked beans, gravy and sliced boiled potatoes.
I'd add onions but she doesn't.
A proper heart warming cupboard tea.
Nah mate fire the mushy peas in when the mince is browned. I’ve never had corn beef hash in my life. My auld da’, G-d rest him, was in the army and wouldn’t tolerate corned beef in his presence let alone eat it. I never ate the stuff until about 10 years ago and I like it. I will try your recipe for sure.

Nah mate fire the mushy peas in when the mince is browned. I’ve never had corn beef hash in my life. My auld da’, G-d rest him, was in the army and wouldn’t tolerate corned beef in his presence let alone eat it. I never ate the stuff until about 10 years ago and I like it. I will try your recipe for sure.
You don’t like fish and chips? You only get real fish and chips in Scotland mate.

You don’t like fish and chips? You only get real fish and chips in Scotland mate.
Oh do’h lol you meant you don’t like mushy peas. Sorry. They are optional with the mince n tatties mate.

Your cooking brings to mind what I call a food bowl. I don't have a recipe to share but I like hearty fare, and I just put things together that I like until I have something that feels substantial. A big priority for me is using leftovers, to the point where most of time, even if someone here is making something new for dinner, I won't have it until a day or two later because I'm busy eating whatever is closer to spoiling. I like ending up with something the consistency of stew. Many people think what I do is kind of gross but that doesn't trouble me at all. My personal theory is that, having grown up parents who lived through the Great Depression (born in 1924 and '25), I inherited something in the way of not ever wanting to throw away food.

The local Whole Foods Market sells Double Cheddar Broccoli soup, and we had some here yesterday - opened container and getting old, but the perfect base for a hearty meal for me. There were a couple of breaded chicken tenders (what you might call chicken schnitzel elsewhere, just breaded, fried chicken) that were getting old, and a half a croissant that was a week old, so the chicken got a bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper, got warmed up a bit, and then into the soup went the chicken and the chopped up croissant, and my food bowl made me very happy. If I'd had leftover ground beef or hamburger, I'd have used that instead of the chicken. If there's leftover rice here, then the results are often some sort of fried rice with a protein source added.

-S-

Your cooking brings to mind what I call a food bowl. I don't have a recipe to share but I like hearty fare, and I just put things together that I like until I have something that feels substantial. A big priority for me is using leftovers, to the point where most of time, even if someone here is making something new for dinner, I won't have it until a day or two later because I'm busy eating whatever is closer to spoiling. I like ending up with something the consistency of stew. Many people think what I do is kind of gross but that doesn't trouble me at all. My personal theory is that, having grown up parents who lived through the Great Depression (born in 1924 and '25), I inherited something in the way of not ever wanting to throw away food.

The local Whole Foods Market sells Double Cheddar Broccoli soup, and we had some here yesterday - opened container and getting old, but the perfect base for a hearty meal for me. There were a couple of breaded chicken tenders (what you might call chicken schnitzel elsewhere, just breaded, fried chicken) that were getting old, and a half a croissant that was a week old, so the chicken got a bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper, got warmed up a bit, and then into the soup went the chicken and the chopped up croissant, and my food bowl made me very happy. If I'd had leftover ground beef or hamburger, I'd have used that instead of the chicken. If there's leftover rice here, then the results are often some sort of fried rice with a protein source added.

-S-
There aren't many things that me happier than opening a fridge to see lots of tupperware contained leftovers. Which always taste better second time around.
My father was born before WWII and grew up on rations. Very much the "make do and mend" generation!

-S-
Stews are stewroids. As someone has called them.

I love stews and leftovers too. My wife is better at making rando “hearty” meals. I however have really started enjoying making my own broths/stocks. I tried it first with a rotisserie chicken carcass, then a huge t-bone. Boiling all those bones and fat down to something useable/edible just makes me feel good inside. Same when me or my wife turn it into a great dinner.

C8B0DFEB-72A3-46D9-9CFA-C1FB5DE8C5AD.jpeg
Gnocchi I made tonight. I love cooking. Probably a reason I’m 5’9” and ( currently slimmed down to ) 95+ kg haha. Thoroughly coated in garlic and sage butter. Don’t eat like this every night but I don’t hold back when I’m in the mood.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom