all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Heater for Garage Gym

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Looking to fight the cold a little bit in the coming months. My current gym is a 24x24 approx sturdy metal carport, pretty nicely built, with a garage door and a man door. No insulation though. I have my power rack/etc on a platform I built so everything is located in that corner.

Any advise on what kind of portable heater might help keep me and the equipment warmer once the temp really drops? I’ve worked in places where we’ve used kerosine torpedo heaters and those definitely work. Could work in my setup for sure. It’s not really ventilated but I’d survive through the hour of training. Other options would be some kind of propane fueled heater? I’m really skeptical about any kind of radiant heater even helping at all due to the thin metal walls (also not sure how longneck a radiant heater would take to actually hear up the corner….

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated!

I cope with the colder air temp fine, but the ice cold weights are tough. And gloves & KBs don't go well together...

Portable fossil fuel based heaters being used indoors (without a separate ventilation system) are a serious hazard to life and health. The combustion process in an enclosed area produces more carbon monoxide (and less carbon dioxide). Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur with no or little warning . Carbon monoxide binds to haemoglobin in red blood cells displacing oxygen and the exposed person is then working with a reduced percentage of red blood cells able to transport oxygen. The amount determines whether the person merely works less efficiently or collapses into unconsciousness and continues to inhale carbon monoxide until they die. The simplest solution is to avoid using such portable fossil fuel based heaters inside and find another solution.

Portable fossil fuel based heaters being used indoors (without a separate ventilation system) are a serious hazard to life and health. The combustion process in an enclosed area produces more carbon monoxide (and less carbon dioxide). Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur with no or little warning . Carbon monoxide binds to haemoglobin in red blood cells displacing oxygen and the exposed person is then working with a reduced percentage of red blood cells able to transport oxygen. The amount determines whether the person merely works less efficiently or collapses into unconsciousness and continues to inhale carbon monoxide until they die. The simplest solution is to avoid using such portable fossil fuel based heaters inside and find another solution.
So a campfire? Just Kidding. Thanks for the concern, honestly. Maybe some sort of fan forced electric one pointed at the bar?

No insulation though.
That might be a thing to fix.

In my basement gym, we have steps leading down into it from the outside. The doors at the top of the steps are uninsulated metal, and it was getting plenty cold in the basement. They sell rigid foam insulation - I cut a sheet of plywood to fit over the opening at the bottom of the stairs, put a 1" thick piece of this insulation on the board and, even though it doesn't seal perfectly, it makes a huge difference in the temperature in the room. You might simply, in addition to your heater solution, whatever that may be, try glueing up some rigid foam insulation to your garage wall. Even a little seems to make a big difference. My very low-tech solution is that I put the board up to cover the opening sometime in the late Fall every year, and take it off in the Spring, and we just don't go in and out that way in the winter.

-S-

Think about how you can reduce heat loss from the walls/floor/ceiling and look at what others have done that works in your general geographical area. After that look to electric heating.
Steve points out that eliminating even small gaps (small surface areas) makes a difference and this is also a good point to remember.

Looking to fight the cold a little bit in the coming months. ...garage...

Garage and Back Patio Training

One of my Power Racks and most of my training equipment in my garage.

I have another Power Rack on my back patio.

The back patio has a roof on it. That is it.

Training In Freezing And Sub Freezing Temperatures

My garage is attached to the house. My back patio to the back door.

I go into the garage and perform sets and then back into house between sets.

I do the same when using using the Power Rack on the back patio. The roof shelters that Power Rack. I also cover it when it rains or snows.

I sometime have to sweep the snow off in the winter to get to it.

Barbell

When it is freezing, I bring he bar into the house the night before training; so that I don't have a 32 degree or lower bar to deal with.

With the patio Power Rack, I cover or bring the bar in.

Dressing In Layers

I also dress in layers to keep warm during my time in a freezing garage or back patio training sets.

If your garage is attached to you house, this method works.

Another thing I did a few year ago was purchase...

Kutting Weight Neoprene

"Neoprene is a synthetic material that is highly sought after for its thermal properties, as it helps to trap the body heat of the wearer, which in turn increases core body temperature."

The Kutting Weight Neoprene was one of my best investments.

No insulation

Heating The Outdoors

I once lived a house that had no insulation.

You know how that goes.

It takes forever to heat a room. If you turn off the heat, the room is freezing in a few minutes.

Garage and Back Patio Training

One of my Power Racks and most of my training equipment in my garage.

I have another Power Rack on my back patio.

The back patio has a roof on it. That is it.

Training In Freezing And Sub Freezing Temperatures

My garage is attached to the house. My back patio to the back door.

I go into the garage and perform sets and then back into house between sets.

I do the same when using using the Power Rack on the back patio. The roof shelters that Power Rack. I also cover it when it rains or snows.

I sometime have to sweep the snow off in the winter to get to it.

Barbell

When it is freezing, I bring he bar into the house the night before training; so that I don't have a 32 degree or lower bar to deal with.

With the patio Power Rack, I cover or bring the bar in.

Dressing In Layers

I also dress in layers to keep warm during my time in a freezing garage or back patio training sets.

If your garage is attached to you house, this method works.

Another thing I did a few year ago was purchase...

Kutting Weight Neoprene

"Neoprene is a synthetic material that is highly sought after for its thermal properties, as it helps to trap the body heat of the wearer, which in turn increases core body temperature."

The Kutting Weight Neoprene was one of my best investments.

Heating The Outdoors

I once lived a house that had no insulation.

You know how that goes.

It takes forever to heat a room. If you turn off the heat, the room is freezing in a few minutes.
How was the super cold training? I see guys in Russia doing it in videos from time to time. Nothing I’m interested in but will do what I have to…

When I lived in WI where it got cold I would use a Mr heater propane heater with the o2 sensor. It raised the temp in my uninsulated garage almost 10 degrees (I had this specific one, Big Buddy Portable Heater I will say the jet kerosene heater will heat up your garage a ton faster. I had this one for emergency heat in the home and ice fishing). Downside is propane adds a lot of moisture to the air which can be a problem sometimes. Upside is you can bring it ice fishing with you and heat up your shack.

I also used leather work gloves because they work well when moving cold iron.

Now that I live in New Mexico where the coldest it gets is barely below freezing it really isn't a problem. T shirt and shorts with some work gloves to protect the hands from the cold metal is about all I need (If I keep my KB inside I don't really need the gloves either). Maybe a cap before I'm warmed up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom