all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Heavy carry energy systems

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

How would one train specific energy systems using stone carries? I've never really done anything specific other than just pick them up when I feel fresh. I've tried some intervals which seemed good I'm not real clear if isometrics are treated differently than other intervals. How would something like A&A fit?

The Secret of Loaded Carries | T Nation

Dan John has always recommended adding as many carry variations as possible to "fill the gaps" in an athlete's program and build mental toughness.

As far as training a specific energy system, carries will primarily work the aerobic side but if you go heavy enough in a super or tri-set they could definitely begin to tap into your anaerobic threshold.

Last edited:
How would one train specific energy systems using stone carries?
I'm not sure you would or could or should. Picking up awkward things and carrying them around is its own thing - benefits good movement, benefits "in between" strength, and if you had to do it for distance or time, I think your training would be pretty specific to that and you'd model it like most other things: train moderately heavy, allow sufficient recovery, perhaps even take an A + A approach with short efforts and long rests, but my question is: why? A lot of the energy system, GPP-energy_system kind of stuff is probably best done with something less awkward.

NB: No science claimed here, just my gut reaction to your question.

-S-

I like carry, and loading medleys a lot. Put a few implements at the start and carry them down and load them or drop them, and jog back then pick up and go again.

In medleys put two implements at the start and one at the finish and go down, drop or load, pick up the next go to the other end, and drop or load. Go back and forth for time, reps, or death.

Good as a quick stand alone workout, loaded cardio, finisher, or part of an event day.

My take on carries:

Do them. Frequently. Heavy for shorter distances. Lighter for longer distances.

"My favorite variation is really heavy for great distances." @Dan John

Last edited:
As far as training a specific energy system, carries will primarily work the aerobic side but if you go heavy enough in a super or tri-set they could definitely begin to tap into your anaerobic threshold

Almost by definition, loading is elicits more force production which recruits faster fibers; so it is more anaerobic. This is not to say that it can't be manipulated to affect collective aerobic capacity as well.

How would one train specific energy systems using stone carries? I've never really done anything specific other than just pick them up when I feel fresh. I've tried some intervals which seemed good I'm not real clear if isometrics are treated differently than other intervals. How would something like A&A fit?

Good questions. There are far better ways to train the energy systems, maybe leave the carries for their best use: that "in between" strength (if there is such a thing). As Steve said, it fits in with A+A by using short & heavy work periods followed by longer rest periods.

@Bro Mo The carry distance across my basement gym diagonally is 25ft each way. I count reps , laps around, or time. With my farmers handles I count picks because they are unwieldy to turn with in a tight space. With DB or KB I will do a figure eight laps or time to get equal turns on each side.

For medleys I use various weights and implements. I have heavy sandbags, kegs, farmers handles, fat and standard grip dumbbells, T handle, kettlebells up to 64kg, various grip implements and block weights, and I make bumper plate loads.

I wave the loads generally. Farmers handle I ramp up to an uncomfortably heavy 1-3. Kegs, plate loads, and sandbags I incrementally add weight each workout, Milo style. Grip based carries I go heavy and moderate depending on the goal of the day. A good standard for me is the number of laps while pinching 3.25" wide 25kg rubber bumper plates in each hand.

I do a lot of carries and loading, and I have really got into grip training in the last year.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom