all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Heavy Guy Calisthenics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Don't do it, Buddy!
To quote Mr. Tsatsouline in the book SIMPLE & SINISTER (page 6): "you never really own a kettlebell. You merely look after it for the next generation"

Just like you my true love is calisthenics BUT lifting Iron has it's place. You will get great results when cycling Calisthenics with Kettlebells and/or Barbell.

Check out the book GET STRONG written by the Kavadlo Brothers. Well written and with good progressions. Cycling GET STRONG with S&S / PTTP will give you NEXT GEN GAINZ
(y);)

10-4 out
/Martin Joe
I LOVE the Kavadlo brothers' work! "Get Strong" is a set program which I've found to be excellent through a few months working at it just to try it out alongside S&S, but they themselves focus more on mastering moves than following any program. They have several books, but in my opinion their book "Street Workout" has everything there. They actually workout outside, so this book actually encapsulates their true methods. I think at the end of the day though that dips, chinups and walking cover everything. You can throw some levers into the mix and some legs on stool pushups. They've got lots of squat variations (which I'm not big on since I walk a lot). Better to focus on a few exercises that cover everything than lots of exercises and be weak at all of them.

Okay, but it's one thing I'm deathly afraid of. What mobility callisthenics can one do to keep the lower back in good condition?

Try out BEAR, FROGGER and MONKEY

Locomotive exercises/Calisthenics:
Besides giving you better motor control which you can use for your Judo - it will open up your hips / lower back in a more effective way than Pryin Goble Squat (S&S) - and it is fun.

Check out GMB Elements or Animal Flow. The programs are not complete but will complement your other training well.

(y):)

The phrase “time under tension” came to
mind. Further, that multiple clean reps may be more akin to hand-to-hand swings, which can offer micro-doses of rest. How much or how little rest would depend on characteristics like the cadence throughout the set.

With that, you might consider incorporating more pauses and holds within your chosen calisthenic movements. Where applicable, of course.

All the best as you drive forward to realize your goals!

@Martin Joe & @Kozushi - I find ample lower back work from the pistols, bridges, arch-ups, drinking birds...etc. Try them in timed holds and reps...etc. I typically found more pain and less mobility from deadlifts and I currently believe my strength levels are fairly similar despite not touching weights for a few years. Kettlebells gave me the same problems despite endlessly attempting to fix my form...etc. I own Get Strong and many other calisthenics books, I landed on the Fighter Pull-Up Program for my basis of my training.

@Will Moore - Time under tension is a great thing. It can make 20 push-ups feel like 100. The greatest thing, is that when the intensity increases, the time under tension does not need to be as long. So maybe a set up normal push-ups takes 60s of time-under-tension, a set of one-arm push-ups may only need 15s (meaning muscle building / activation is the same). This is backed by actual clinical studies and is encouraging for those of us who do not want to spend hours and hours working out.

@Martin Joe & @Kozushi - I find ample lower back work from the pistols, bridges, arch-ups, drinking birds...etc. Try them in timed holds and reps...etc. I typically found more pain and less mobility from deadlifts and I currently believe my strength levels are fairly similar despite not touching weights for a few years. Kettlebells gave me the same problems despite endlessly attempting to fix my form...etc. I own Get Strong and many other calisthenics books, I landed on the Fighter Pull-Up Program for my basis of my training.

@Will Moore - Time under tension is a great thing. It can make 20 push-ups feel like 100. The greatest thing, is that when the intensity increases, the time under tension does not need to be as long. So maybe a set up normal push-ups takes 60s of time-under-tension, a set of one-arm push-ups may only need 15s (meaning muscle building / activation is the same). This is backed by actual clinical studies and is encouraging for those of us who do not want to spend hours and hours working out.
This is good to know. Next time I'm away from my weights and doing NW, I'll add in serious back bridges every day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom