all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Heavy Hands

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ricky01

Level 6 Valued Member
I wasn't sure where to post this:

I am an Original Strength level 2 coach (amongst other things) and strongly suggest people look past its simplicity and give it a go. Believe me, my recent workouts involving crawling forwards for 25 minutes, backwards for 16 and/or either direction pulling a sled - and I knew I had been in a workout.

That being said OS has allowed me to comfortably explore other movement types.

I have really been enjoying marching on the spot (ala the OS cross crawl) and using hand weights in a 'Heavy Hands' style.

I usually perform my OS resets (in various ways) then some form of crawl (this week I am spending time on the lateral crawl) then inside for focused ER/IR work on hips/shoulders. Then grabbing some light weights and going through some HH work.

Has anyone used HH at all in their training?

Richard

I have not tried Heavy Hands.

I do have incorporated OS in my training and off Days. Especially rocking and rolling.
I´d like to crawl more but at my gym (commerical) all the people look weird at me as it is, since I only do kettlebell training (S&S), if I would crawl around I guess they might Think Im crazy for real :(

I thought about it, but I'd only use them for my walks. I have just used 0.5-1Kg weight plates instead from time to time.
I read about HH and your supposed to do all those pumps, boxing moves and stuff when following the HH programing. That looks so incredibly stupid. You won't ever see me doing that :D
Overall I can't tell that I felt a noticable difference when walking with weights in the hands, so I ditched that and just walk normally and enjoy my surroundings instead of focusing on the weights.

@Stefan Olsson
It took me a long time to get over the weird looks while crawling, but after some time people will accept it and even ask you about it.
When I crawl outside it's on my running route and there's a "calisthenics-place" with bars, parallel-bars etc. and usually there are a couple of people training there. At first I got weird looks, but after some time they asked me what and why I was doing it and I showed it to them. When people leopard or spiderman crawl for the first time they feel how hard it is on the core and instantly stop thinking of it as weird stuff :)
I guess once you start loading up your crawls and start to drag chains even the meatheads in the gym will be curious. Even though most of the time those guys are all about aesthetics and "what muscle does that train?" they still like finishers to torch fat and crawling with chains is something that falls in that category for them.

Last edited:
I have. It actually is a good way to get your heart rate up. If you are recovering from injury you don't have to get out of shape. It is better than you would think would be. Bottom line, it works.

@Ricky01 I use my pairs of 1# or 2# Indian clubs for some marching and its pretty close to how HH feels. Usually 10 minutes straight of that going Forward,Backward,Laterally in a session is pretty awesome. I mix that in with my crawling and chain marching sessions.

Yeah I got some strange looks both outside and at the gym I work at but it has gotten me a few clients.

I've never tried the heavy hands myself. I do have some experience with skiing, which was the main influence on heavy hands, if I remember correctly.

Heavy hands are mentioned in a very good light in The Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher. He does make a point about it. Personally I'd prefer to do some rucking with free arms when there isn't any snow and ski in the winter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom