all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well, I feel that he should stick with the skill set he already has until he can snatch near double weight (around 210lbs for a pair of beasts at 120lb bodyweight) and then, if he doesn't feel like he's "strong enough," he could grab a barbell.
I have recently gotten to 20 sets of 10 kb swings with 72lbs. This is the heaviest I have access to.
I was responding to the OP, based on the equipment he has available. Snatching 32kg might be a good goal, especially if the OP is specifically interested in KB snatches, and achieving it would probably develop/represent/require an increase in strength.

But, I would still assert that KB snatching is more suited to developing repeated or continuous power endurance, rather than maximum strength.

So my answers to the OP's questions are still:
Would doing heavy kb snatches with low reps be a good idea for strength?
Not optimally for maximum strength as most people would define it.
Is there any programs for heavy kb snatches?
Yes, A+A fits the bill, and is low reps per set. But it is high volume since it is targeted more to repeated power endurance than maximum strength.

I was having a bit of fun with Sizzlefuzz's "obviously" post.

I would note that "optimal" does not have to be the enemy of "pretty good." Pavel alludes to this often. In the BJJ Fanatics program he writes:

The following weights are to become your working weights for plans 2A and 2B. Men—80% BW in the double kettlebell long cycle Women—40% BW (but no more than 28kg/62lb) in the single5 kettlebell long cycle. The above weights will not make weightlifters nervous, but they will make you stand out as “strong” among grapplers, which is the only thing that matters.

I think we can all agree that, as always, it just depends on exactly what the OP hopes to accomplish.

Last edited:
For the OP since his equipment is limited and he's still fairly light, if he gets up to using a pair of 24s for 10 sets of 5, it may actually cover most of his needs . And he'll also put on some more muscle..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom