all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Heavy lifting, hemorrhoids and how to avoid it

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

Bit of a weird post but I've been struggling with hemorrhoids for a few years now and finally decided to have them treated yesterday.

I explained to the Dr that I do a lot of heavy weight lifting (and how abs are braced/butt clenched) and she was fairly sure that this contributed to the problem.

Anyway, after the procedure, Dr recommended 10 days of no weight lifting.

While I'm not fretting over the fact that I can't workout for almost 2 weeks (not thrilled about it either though), I wanted to know if there was any way to avoid that problem in the future.

After a brief search, I only could find a quote from @Steve Freides "a lot of intra-abdominal pressure without tightening down on the other end can cause this problem, particularly when squatting".

I'm sure I wasn't doing everything correctly at first so this might have caused the problem but I think (?) I know my stuff well enough now.

FYI, these are my lifts, 1RM @ 68kg - 29 years old
Deadlift: 180kg
Squat: 140kg
Bench Press: 110kg
I was very close in reaching the Simple standards as well but had to stop.

Thank you!

I’d be curious what your doctor would say if you hadn’t mentioned lifting weights.

People who don’t lift get them.
People who lift get them.
People who don’t lift don’t get them.
People who lift don’t get them.

Would you rather be strong with hemorrhoids or weak with hemorrhoids?

@Pats

From Pavel in PTTP:

The rectal sphincter contraction recommended by Zatsiorsky as a part of his abdominal drill not only increases the inside pressure and amplifies one’s strength, it also acts as an insurance against hemorrhoids. People inexperienced in lifting correctly tend to let their intestines go when they strain. Such a style of lifting could lead to hemorrhoids and offers no performance advantage.

@Mike Torres I knew I read that somewhere and couldn't remember where.

@Sean M I definitely know what you mean, I wasn't going to stop weight lifting forever and have no regrets, was just looking for people's opinions here.

@Steve Freides I see but I guess that fits with the quote from Pavel in PTTP.

Thanks guys, I guess the only thing to do is focus a lot more on the "rectal sphincter contraction" while exercising.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom