all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy partial getup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pavel.Kosenkov

Level 5 Valued Member
I was wondering: in some programs there is a recommendation to do heavy partial getups.
I don't get it.

Partial would refer probably to "to the elbow - to the hand" transition and back. This would be the heaviest part of a getup.
I just fail to see how loading this heavy is a valid option, instead of just doing a full getup.
Partial movement would be a valid option for a barbell. One can do heavier rack pull than the deadlift.
However, this is not the case in the getup, there is no partial range of motion there, just transitions.

If anything, I would rather do 3-5 reps of 3-5 sets of transition practice with a lighter weight.

Does anyone have thoughts or comments on this matter?
Or, maybe, I misundertand the term "partial getup"?

There are many ways to progress to the next size bell

The option you mentioned works, so does partial getups and doing your reps much slower than needed (each step takes about 6-7 seconds)

I was wondering: in some programs there is a recommendation to do heavy partial getups.
I don't get it.

Partial would refer probably to "to the elbow - to the hand" transition and back. This would be the heaviest part of a getup.
I just fail to see how loading this heavy is a valid option, instead of just doing a full getup.
Partial movement would be a valid option for a barbell. One can do heavier rack pull than the deadlift.
However, this is not the case in the getup, there is no partial range of motion there, just transitions.

If anything, I would rather do 3-5 reps of 3-5 sets of transition practice with a lighter weight.

Does anyone have thoughts or comments on this matter?
Or, maybe, I misundertand the term "partial getup"?
I would suggest checking out a podcast with @Mikeperry and @Brett Jones -

HERE is the general landing page. The two most recent episodes are on the getup.

HERE is the iTunes page - episodes 35 and 36 are what you're looking for.

I can do partials with heavier bells, or for more reps, than I can do full getups. Example - right now I can do 36kg getups, but I can do partials with 40kg; or instead of doing 1x 36kg getup I can do multiple reps going to the elbow or hand. I find them great at building strength and confidence with lighter bells or as you progress to the next bell.

The first time I took the 40kg for a getup two or three years ago, I *had* to work up to it in partials - starting just with pressing it off the floor, which felt impossible; then eventually I got strong enough to get to elbow, and eventually to the hand. I had to get very comfortable holding it before I had the strength and confidence to attempt the low sweep. Those reps of press, to the elbow, and to the hand built that more than doing more reps with the 32kg (I didn't have a 36kg at the time) or just "going for it."

Based on an EKG study on the get up I came across a while ago, the most force generated by the body in the get up happen in the initial transition to the elbow. Followed by the stand up from the half kneeling position.

Partial get ups acclimate the body to the heavier load, in the transition requiring the most tension, without the risk or fatigue of the full get up. I have had success with this.

However, multiple get ups with a light kb has also helped me work up in bells. There is always a question of "is the heavier bell worth the danger?" It depends on your goals. For me, the heavier get ups have been rewarding. I have lost a heavy bell overhead a few times but was fully prepared to bail on it.

All good replies, thank you guys.
I will give some context. If I fail in a getup - that will be during "to the elbow transaction". I guess, in this case, polishing with 3-5 lighter reps is fine.
However, I remember having trouble supporting the bell for a long time - that would be past the low sweep, - and in this case a heavy partial getup would do.
There - I think I have answered my own question. In short - it depends on what is the challenge.

I use partial getups as an "ab" exercise. I'm not activly trying to improve my full getup, and the basement ceiling is too low for that anyway.
I would say that a heavy goblet squat would be better, if you put the bell further away from you... I did hanging leg raises.

They also focus on upper back and pulling because you need to pull onto the supporting elbow, and on the glute and hip extension of the leg you drive through. It fills gaps by giving more attention to areas we don't necessarily always focus on with the traditional exercises (an actual upper body pull isn't generally in a kettlebell program, even if it is mostly addressed through the traditional exercises). Fill the gaps and everything else improves. Scapular stabilizers definitely are worked during overhead movements and the ballistics, but giving them some more attention through an exercise modification is a good idea, too.

I also think that part of the getup is the biggest bang for your buck for developing strength; the other portions are more balance and stability (very important and can be limiting factors for expressing strength, just not the focus on the heavy day).

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

I would say that a heavy goblet squat would be better, if you put the bell further away from you... I did hanging leg raises.

I think what it comes down to is, there is about a billion "core" exercises you could do. I enjoy the partial getup and feel it's beneficial, I also have the necessary equipment, it doesn't require a tall ceiling, and it exposed a difference between left and right sides that I'm trying to even out.

Out of interest, does anybody do partial get downs, ie push press/jerk etc a heavy bell overhead and support, or even do the lunge back to half kneeling?

Out of interest, does anybody do partial get downs, ie push press/jerk etc a heavy bell overhead and support, or even do the lunge back to half kneeling?
Sorta, but not J/PP heavy. Squat style GU, then before standing, lower bell into rack and perform a Sotts press, then stand, then squat back down with bell OH and sit then lie back down . 16-24kg, reps vary.

Yes, I love doing every part of the Get up in partials, also with clients. Matter of fact, I break down every skill. I use all the drills from the SFG manuals as training/exercises. So for example: with cleans, I use double cleans, single cleans, clean pulls, hardstyle plank, rack hold breathe, rack walk, etc.

Do use Get Downs, but prefer the longer durations then a heavier bell. So let's say, heavy-ish get up bell and the do 5 + 5 transitions from half kneel, to tall sit and elbow and back up again.

In ETK, Pavel has also mentioned some physical therapist using these partial get-ups as a rehab exercise for shoulders. So apparently that could be a valuable lift in its own right that provides many benefits of the full exercise while greatly lessening the risks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom