all posts post new thread

Barbell Heavy, really heavy accessory lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
785 lbs kneeling squat..for sets of 6. I'm impressed!
I could never be productive with these back in the day, but I think it's probably a great exercise. I should give them another go (with light weights).

There are a lot of old time strongman lifts that are done with very heavy weights - good stuff. I have, in the USAWA, completed a 1020 lb hip lift and some of the bigger, stronger folks have done 2500+ lbs. The hand and thigh lift is another one. The Kennedy lift is a good assistance lift for the DL - straddle DL from 17" high rack pins.

I know this isn't the specific lift you mention, just pointing out that these odd lifts with very heavy weights were more popular than they are now - they're great fun to do.

-S-

I could never be productive with these back in the day, but I think it's probably a great exercise. I should give them another go (with light weights).

It seems like the hip action is like an RDL, but obviously with the barbell in a different position.

Hip thrusts might be even better.
Probably, but so different that it's apples and oranges.

A better comparison would probably be kneeling squats vs. good mornings - does kneeling squats give you anything that GMs don't? I'm not sure. My guess is that most advantage to the exercise garnered from the kneeling would be offset by the discomfort/awkwardness/potential for messing it up. We'll see - I'm planning to give it a light go tomorrow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom