all posts post new thread

Barbell Heavy set guy... building strength skills... trying to run as a sport...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have been practicing this method for the last several months, and am only just now getting to the point where I can jog continuously for an hour and keep a low heart rate.
jogging slow at low heart rates really is an art, and no small one.

But at my current pace, it doesn't get in the way of lifting heavy things (no achy joints), which is the higher priority.
slow low impact running can actually support lifting through better recovery.

Focus on getting strong, don't invest any pride in your running yet, but don't give up the practice.
+1

there are a few helpful pointers/foci:
- high stride rate (around 180 steps per minute - lessens the impact greatly. My default rate was 160-164. For the last weeks I make an effort to make faster steps than I feel 'comfortable' with. Now 180 is almost my new default. My slow jog can almost feel like sprinting, quite paradox. Generally stride rate goes down with fatigue so it provides a measure to end the jogging.)
- rythmical breathing all through the nose
- mid/forefoot stride with flat/minimal shoes. I actually prefer forefoot stride: I never had any issues with hips or knees. But in the past my achilles tendons got slightly tender. Not anymore.
Takana compares forefoot stride to sprinting stride. It is (mild) plyometrics with every step
- active arms with 'open arms' (a bit mire than 90 degree angle)
- gaze straight to the front

I see slow jogging as 'strength training':
- for the slow twitch fibers
- for tendons and cartilage, soft tissue
- for the aerobic system using fat for fuel
- for the 'temperature system' of the organism: keeping cool in heat, kerping warm in the cold
Slow jogging actually is the 'ultimate' contralateral reset and resilience builder. This whole package can't be replicated otherwise. And it is dirt cheap...

I'm a bad sleeper. What I've found out is that strenuous physical activity late in the evening makes it impossible for me to fall a sleep even some four hours after the effort. Slow running, on the other hand, makes me sleep like a baby. Thus far, I've regarded the late evening jogs as a sort of meditation instead of exertion. The slow runs have felt good - I'd say they more likely enhance than hinder the recovery from other stressors.

What I've been thinking lately are the physical benefits of these slow runs, and if I should start planning or scheduling the runs more carefully in order to reap as much benefits as possible regarding the aerobic base building. Currently, I'm running a couple of slow 6K runs a week and in addition to that I bicycle commute some 100K a week. Then there's weekly a couple of hours of combat sports training, and I just started running S&S (3 weekly sessions) again with 32kg bell (trying to move to 40 during the spring 2020). I'm feeling great (especially the S&S sessions feel really energizing) but I'm having some doubts that the "program" is all over the place and there will be quite low returns for the investment. Anyone familiar with this sort of frustration?

and I just started running S&S (3 weekly sessions) again with 32kg bell (trying to move to 40 during the spring 2020)
with this in mind, with the re- visiting of s&s just keep doing what you are doing and evaluate in a few weeks.

Depending on wgat and how you train your combat sport it may be pretty demanding from a metabolic standpoint,
then easy aerobics is just perfect for you.

Whe after some weeks/months everything 'runs' smoothly with good recoveries you can consider every 1-2 weeks or so a timed s&s test, sprinkle some 'tempo runs' within your easy running session.

but I'm having some doubts that the "program" is all over the place and there will be quite low returns for the investment.
'Improvements' may be slow, but steady and don't be fooled you are not improving if you see no rapid 'gainz'. I think one really can miss the benefits of having a 'wheels spinning routine' over long time without getting hurt, beat up and injured.
When you do it over and over again then tomorrow and one year later you will have instant improvements....

But just see how the next weeks/months go without adding something more or introducing harder/interval stuff.

Does anyone have thoughts about running in place, like as an indoor warm up or when the streets are covered in ice? Is there any carryover to actual running?

@GeoffWai
I'm a distance runner and have completed several half marathons and marathons. I've also done a lot of strength training and learned to incorporate barbell, kettlebell and body weight into my marathon training to maintain my strength. I would recommend picking one thing to focus on at a time, either strength or running. If you want to run a 10k or half marathon next fall, I would use the winter months to focus on strength training. Get your body stronger using either barbell or kettlebells. Strength should be your focus, but you will also want to get in some conditioning. Swings or snatches are a good way to do this, or a couple easy runs a week. In late spring, I would shift focus from strength to running. At this point, it is still important to strength train, it just won't be the focus. I would do minimal barbell lifting, if any. Kettlebells and bodyweight are great because they keep us strong without putting on muscle. The focus then should be running with lifting as a supplement. I recommend running three days a week, and on non-running days, practice a combination of swings, snatches, military press, TGU, planks, pull-ups and push-ups.

Lacie! Welcome!!

I smiled and shook my head when I started to read Lacie's message. First she says "I'm a distance runner" then "I've also done a lot of strength training." Lacie is an Iron Maiden, having completed our challenge of using a 24 kg kettlebell: on a belt for a pullup, held while performing a pistol (one-legged squat to below parallel), and also military pressing it. And she's run marathons. Amazing.

@GeoffWai, you're getting advice from a very good source here.

And I will humbly second what she suggested. I have been successful in my own training by picking a focus and a goal and working towards it, and changing those goals back and forth between different things over the years. I've competed in 4 different age groups as a power lifter, but typically spend only about half of each 5-year period training for powerlifting competitions, and the rest of the time, I work on bodyweight things, on odd barbell lifts, on kettlebells, on my mobility, the mix has been very good to me and for me.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom