all posts post new thread

Barbell Heavy singles and greasing the groove every day?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

HendrixExperience

Level 1 Valued Member
I need to get my repetitions for push-ups and pull-ups up for the military but I'd also like to increase my strength on the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. I came up with the idea that I'd warm up to a heavy single for a barbell movement and continue to grease the groove pushing or pulling for the rest of the day. For example, after a couple of warm-up sets, I'd perform a single rep of Bench Press at 90-95% of my 1 rep max. I'd grease the groove push-ups for the rest of the day. The next day I'd perform a heavy Deadlift single and continue to pull throughout the rest of the day with pull-ups. Back and forth like so with an occasional rest day if I get too fatigued. If I can handle it, I'm also interested in Squatting a heavy single every day following the Bench or Deadlift single.

I'm 17 years old, have been lifting on and off for a year now.
I'm still a novice lifter. I got a bit creative with the routine, but if there is a more optimal plan for my goals here I'd love to hear it!

I need to get my repetitions for push-ups and pull-ups up for the military but I'd also like to increase my strength on the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift....

I'm still a novice lifter. I got a bit creative with the routine, but if there is a more optimal plan for my goals here I'd love to hear it!
You don't need to be creative. Do a basic program that incorporates SQ, BP, DL, and PU (for example, Starting Strength) and all these will improve. Use something already proven, you do not have any reason to think that you can come up with something that will give you better results.

I need to get my repetitions for push-ups and pull-ups up for the military but I'd also like to increase my strength on the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. I came up with the idea that I'd warm up to a heavy single for a barbell movement and continue to grease the groove pushing or pulling for the rest of the day. For example, after a couple of warm-up sets, I'd perform a single rep of Bench Press at 90-95% of my 1 rep max. I'd grease the groove push-ups for the rest of the day. The next day I'd perform a heavy Deadlift single and continue to pull throughout the rest of the day with pull-ups. Back and forth like so with an occasional rest day if I get too fatigued. If I can handle it, I'm also interested in Squatting a heavy single every day following the Bench or Deadlift single.

I think there is a good idea in there, but lifting at 90-95% can be tiring to your CNS, and also can be difficult for some people without a warmup.

I will recommend a modification of your approach. First, take a look at our article, Daily Dose Deadlift - it's a single set of 5 @ 75% almost every day. You could take that approach and, e.g., one day DL and BP, and the next day SQ and BP. It's important to remember that volume is a key determinant of strength progress and just one single isn't going to work as a program for very long. The DDD, on the other hand, has you heavier on each lift once a week or so. Most people will do better, and be less likely to get injured, if you keep the BP frequency higher and the SQ and DL frequency lower, hence the idea to BP twice as much as either of the other two lifts.

-S-

I’ve done something similar: five singles at 75%1RM, five days a week, of front squats, incline bench and pull ups. After five weeks, you can repeat the cycle using a slightly heavier load or you can change one or more exercises and do it all over again.

This is NOT a peaking program, but a base builder one. It’s supposed to be really easy, so you can focus your energy on other activities.

You don't need to be creative. Do a basic program that incorporates SQ, BP, DL, and PU (for example, Starting Strength) and all these will improve. Use something already proven, you do not have any reason to think that you can come up with something that will give you better results.
Would you say that a combination of PTTP and gtg push-ups and chin-ups 5x a week could work instead? Or would that be too fatiguing?

Actually it's 5 singles, not a single set of 5.

"Each workout will be 3-5 single reps (3 to 5 sets of 1 rep)" Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
As a deadlift newb this gave me ample opportunity to get familiar with the form and brought my max from 315 to 365 in 1 cycle. And it really does feel too easy the entire time. I love the design of this program.

and the 5 singles - I just shook it out till I felt fresh which was often EMOM, and by the time I was at the end of the cycle - my 75% days were definitely yielding to my higher max ... a couple of them were done touch and go out of sheer ease. and they worked out just fine.

Actually it's 5 singles, not a single set of 5.

"Each workout will be 3-5 single reps (3 to 5 sets of 1 rep)" Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
What's a set and what's a rep are always grey areas when it comes to the deadlift unless you're bouncing the bar off the floor for touch-and-go reps. 5 reps that way, everyone would agree, is a set. But when I do singles - pull, put bar down, stand up, take a breath or two, and pull again - I still call those reps part of a set. A set to me would be pulling a single and walking away from the bar for at least 3 minutes for me. And when I do singles where I pull, put the bar down, don't let go of the bar, but take a breath or two at the bottom then pull again, I call those reps part of a set, too. Very different than a set of bench presses or squats where you're supporting the bar for the duration of the set.

What's in a name, anyway? :)

-S-

But when I do singles - pull, put bar down, stand up, take a breath or two, and pull again - I still call those reps part of a set
interesting. in my practice for the daily dose deadlifts, I stood up and did not merely take a breath or two, but I allowed my sense of recovery between reps to set in. I did look for the CNS to calm down a bit, and for the tingles to subside. usually EMOM or less.
What's in a name, anyway? :)

But when I do singles - pull, put bar down, stand up, take a breath or two, and pull again - I still call those reps part of a set. A set to me would be pulling a single and walking away from the bar for at least 3 minutes for me. And when I do singles where I pull, put the bar down, don't let go of the bar, but take a breath or two at the bottom then pull again, I call those reps part of a set, too.
Cluster Set

Any pause between a Repetition or Repetitions is a Cluster Set.

The Rest Period between a Repetition or Repetitions in a Set allows for recovery.

Muscle ATP Restoration occurs during these short rest periods which ensures more Repetitions and Weight can be used.

Effective for Limit Strength, Power and Speed Training;

Traditional Sets

These are Non-Stop Continuous Repetitions performed in a Set without any pause.

Traditional Sets performed for Non-Stop Repetition are more effective for Hypertrophy Training.

Would you say that a combination of PTTP and gtg push-ups and chin-ups 5x a week could work instead? Or would that be too fatiguing?
Other people have successfully combined PTTP with a chin-up program, so that could probably be considered as proven. I probably would wait a few months before trying to add gtg pushups to the daily BP work. You will see some improvement on the pushups just from getting stronger, and can later do something more focused to bring them up quicker to whatever standard you need to hit. Right now, you don't have to do everything at once.

As Dan John quads. You can lift Modart often oder you can lift Heavy once or twice a week. The stimulus and the demand for your CNS is extrem if you always come around on the top end of the 1 RM. Personal i wolud chose easy strength for this goal. 5 Movements plus some EASY abb work every day at 50%-75% of 1RM and after some season (in my case after season 25) BUM the magic begins. Every season took about 20-35 min in and out. It´s boring, it´s not ego friendly but it works like hell.

I need to get my repetitions for push-ups and pull-ups up for the military but I'd also like to increase my strength on the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift.
I will say - for me the biggest jump in reps on test day came from slow strict reps sets of 5 at first , then graduating to sets of ten. Was about every other day and I remember one exercise per day because my situps interfered with my pushups. If I remember I was doing it for about 3 months. In the weeks leading up to it I did take a few days off. And I remember taking a day or two off before. Pushups 2x week situps 2days x week. The number of sets varied alot though. If I did it over again I'd probably cap the sets at 10.

For me cracking 60s on pushups was a big deal. I usually did around 50. Never made it to 100. But I never quite had as much success with other programs.

Last edited:
I did something similar when I was preparing to join the army.

Everytime I passed under the threshold of a door I would do 3 pull ups, 10 push ups and 10 lunges per leg and then crack on with my day.

When I arrived to do my assessment I maxed out the push ups, sit ups and pull ups.

So GTG is very viable.

You’re training for the military. That’s your goal. Train for that. You’re 17, you’ve got plenty of time to work singles.

I’ve been there dude, every artistic program under the sun. Most unfit for the goal.

Get strong, hit a 5x5 on compounds; include pull ups here. Do some accessory work in the endurance range (push-ups, rows). G2G push-ups and pull-ups too maybe. You’re young enough for it.

Run.

Hit your 1-3 range once you’ve got a few more years training and you’ve successfully hit your near term goal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom