all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy Snatch Carryover to Press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

damnjohn

Level 3 Valued Member
Besides the overhead lockout & possibly the negative if doing a half-snatch, has anyone noticed any strength transfer from snatching your press weight & vice versa. I ask because I've been struggling to get my goal of a 5RM w/ a 24kg (got to 3 ugly reps w/ my left but put off progress due to a teres minor strain on my right arm & forearm pain on my left) but can snatch that weight more consistently & without issue, which I find counter-intuitive.

Last edited:
@damnjohn, it's common for a person to be able to snatch more than they can press - it doesn't work this way for everyone, but if your grip is solid and your hips strong, your legs and hips help you put a weight overhead that you couldn't otherwise - nothing wrong with that.

But you'll need more than that to help your press - trying snatching heavier, and/or pressing bottoms-up but lighter, and/or doing bent presses with heavier, and/or yielding presses with heavier.

A press video would enable folks here to give you some feedback; 45 degree angle to the front is usually good for that.

A lot of volume with 18 and 20 kg would also benefit your cause, e.g., a mix of 18 and 20 kg volume with some singles and doubles with 24 kg.

-S-

There's no direct carryover from snatches to press (from my personal experience) other than muscular development and grip strength. This moving pattern loves direct training. Old "to press a lot you need to press a lot" is right. Bottom-ups, floor press, side press, bench press - anything goes. Pull-ups is a very useful accessory for presses.

Vid for technique feedback and agree with Steve. Time spent accruing volume with the 16 and 20

Thank you so much! SF is a really helpful community.

A press video would enable folks here to give you some feedback; 45 degree angle to the front is usually good for that.

I had taken this 2 weeks back (sorry for the lack of a good angle) to look at what was going on & can clearly see I’m losing tension.

I’ve been following a bodyweight strength program to work on tension w/ progressions towards a strict OAPU, ring dips, pistols, & pull-ups & S&S on other days—hoping to finish it off in 2 weeks & jump back to strict pressing working on tension w/ squats, cleans & rack-holds w/ a heavier bell (I have a 16kg, 24kg & 32kg) alongside S&J or the “bottoms-up experiment“ continuing w/ S&S to really own the simple standard.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom