all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy swing form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bret S.

Level 9 Valued Member
So I've been doing A+A 2H swings with the beast for sets of 7 reps. This seems to work pretty well getting my heart rate up to 120 to 132 bpm (MAF is 121). My concern is that going heavy enough to facilitate a nice training zone may be compromising my form.

I have struggled with lower back stuff forever. Swinging heavy is not a problem but I would like to sink in a little deeper at the bottom. Also I've been working on holding off on the knee bend longer, it just gets a little dicey with the back thing. Anyway it feels a bit tentative and I'm trying to build more power and comfort into the move without grooving in any bad habits.

im no expert but looks pretty darn good to me.

FWIW, I recently had some cervical disc issues (too many strangles in grappling) and I received spinal decompression with a HILL DT machine. Im cured.

I was a skeptic but it was literally magic. They do lower back as well. Apparently this machine is far advanced compared to the older VAX D machines. They're pretty rare.

I dont know your issues, but I throw it out there for you and anyone else who may be in need of help.

Great swings! I love to see people swinging the beast. I think we all have it in us. And it's great work to do.

Reps 3, 4, and 5 look perfect to me.

Reps 1, 2, and 7 you loosen the legs (although you don't actually break at the knees) as you're coming out of the plank. I'd just suggest holding the "tight plank!" for another fraction of a second.

Rep 6 you scoop the knees forward a bit on the upswing -- not a big deal and it's very slight, but can become habitual and more pronounced if not checked, so something to look out for.

On the initial hike your hips slide up a bit -- probably fine, but you might try a starting position with hips just a bit higher and see how that works.

Nice work!

@piratebum
Wow, cured is a strong word when it comes to back issues, I've never heard of the treatment you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up as I'll definitely be looking at it..

@Anna C
I was hoping you would ring in as you always have insightful comments on technique. I'll work on the things you mentioned. I felt like something was going on but could not quite figure it out.

Now that I look at the video again I see what you mean. Perhaps playing it in slow motion would help me to see the things you see. You definitely have a sharp eye for details and I appreciate the feedback. It's exactly what I was looking for.(y)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom