all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy swings or deadlifts? (Specific enquiry)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
I know this has been done to death, but I have a specific enquiry.

I have 64kg kettlebell for swings, and equally my barbell tops out at just over double this; at 130kg.

I find both lifts take a lot out of me so I’m wondering where my time would be better spent? With the heavier dead’s or the heavy kettlebell swings?

It’s worth mentioning I have a 50kg kettlebell which I can swig regularly without hindering recovery as well as two 40kgs for double cleans.

Someone (or many someone’s) way more qualified than me can probably give you more specific advice...but since swings are a ballistic move and deadlifts are not, the question is: what are your goals?

If your goal is strength, work on the deadlifts. If your goal is endurance/power, work on the swings.

It’s also worth looking at any of the articles on this site that address “waviness.” Swing (and deadlift) many weights.

Kate

Ultimately to increase strength, you need more weight. Barbells provide any weight a human can handle. If you're focused on max strength in the hinge, the barbell is really the only option for heavy weight.

But, if i could only have 1, I'd take swings. I like the range of motion better. You hike pass the bell behind you. A barbell stops at your shins. Power generation with a kettlebell swing is over the full range of motion. And explosive kettlebell lifts are easier and safer than barbell equivalents. No catastrophic failures to worry about.

I vote for the kettlebell swing. Range of motion + explosive.

Edit: Maybe the ROM of the hinge itself is not *that* different with swings. But having the weight start behind you, instead of in front is a different feel. I guess I just prefer it.

Last edited:
Some very strong deadlifters don't deadlift very much. I feel that I've gone back and forth throughout training. Right now my thoughts are to deadlift fast with little volume and swing hard with higher volume as an accessory to it. I've found swings make me more "athletic" whatever that means.

I would have to agree with @Kate Hardy . You need to figure out your goals. I'm big on swings for maintaining my deadlift. I usually do anywhere between 16-30 rounds of 5 swings on the minute with a 32 and can go in and pull 400+ without training the deadlift for months. Just depends on your goals. Best of luck with your training.

I would imagine 130kg deadlifts to be far too light for anyone swinging a 64kg kettlebell proficiently.

In general the barbell can be loaded conveniently to different loads. And one can do power exercises with it as well.

Deadlift solid once a week if you can buy more plates. Swing moderately heavy weights you can recover from the other days. If I had a barbell that’s what I would do anyways.

If you can’t buy more plates I would just swing and vary the load and volume

Last edited:
I would imagine 130kg deadlifts to be far too light for anyone swinging a 64kg kettlebell proficiently.

In general the barbell can be loaded conveniently to different loads. And one can do power exercises with it as well.
Yes. Kettlebell swing weight, unless you're specifically doing these as an alternative to a deadlift speed day, should be much light and done for maximum power expression. I have a 160 kg deadlift and swing a 32 or 44 kg bell with two hands, and usually a 24 with one hand.

-S-

One can make the 130 kg deadlifts more difficult by pausing for a few seconds at mid shin (this is what I'm doing right now). I did a bunch of reps with only 300 lb yesterday and it was a good workout.

Or even do deficit deadlifts. Or add some bands or chains. Or just find some cheap used plates, lol.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom