all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy swings vs deadlift and what is a squat swing a thing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have a couples of questions regarding heavy swings.

Sometimes, we see people swinging 60kg+ bells. So I was wondering if there were:
- a real athletic interest
- a protocol to follow to do it on a regular basis

Hungarian Core Blaster

I've preformed 175 lbs with the Hungarian Core Blaster "Kettlebell Swing".

As Contraras' article (listed above) provides data on how Heavy Kettlebell Swing develop more Power Output.

A general rule is to use a Kettlebell that weights around one-third to as much as 100% of your body weight. Thus, if you weigh 150 lbs, a Kettlebell of 50 lbs/about 24 kg to 150 lbs/ around 68 kg is where you need to be.

A great alternative to the expense of purchasing Heavy Kettlebells is the Hungarian Core Blaster. The cost is about $20.00 worth of pipe from a place like Lowes; plus the cost of the weights.

Also, the Hungarian Core Blaster is an "Adjustable Kettlebell". You can adjust the weight as you like.

Banded Kettlebell Swings

Another method for increasing the load of a Kettlebell is to attach a Band to your Kettlebell.

Regular Protocol Basis

If your objective is developing Maximum Power, Heavy Swing are required.

I understand the heavy swings as taught in S&S, but that heavy...

Power Training Percentages

1) Traditional Strength Training Exercises

Exercises like Squats, Bench Press, etc use loads of 48 - 62% of 1 Repetition Max to develop Power.

2) Olympic Movements

The percentage for developing Power in Olympic Movements (Kettlebell Swing fall into this area) is 70 - 80% of 1 Repetition Max

It is hard to determine a Kettlebell Swing's 1 Repetition Max. However, what we do know based on Contreras research is that much heavier Kettlebell Swing is necessary for displaying and developing Power Output.

Hello,

I've preformed 175 lbs with the Hungarian Core Blaster "Kettlebell Swing".
Did you find benefits performing it ? Did you follow a specific routine ?

I weigh 60kg, so basically, what weight should I use to try something like that ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Did you find benefits performing it ?

Yes

Most individual need a heavier Kettlebell for Swings.

The reason they don't is primarily the cost of a heavier Kettlebell that is only good for one thing, Swings.

Secondly, there is a lack of knowledge; they don't know.

Did you follow a specific routine ?

Yes

I have a program that I follow that isn't what most would.

With that said, Power Movement like Kettlebell Swing can be performed as you would with training something like a Power Clean; starting with light sets and progressively increasing the load. That is one of the advantages of the Hungarian Core Blaster.

I have quite a few Kettlebells (16, 20, 24, 32 kg and a 100 lb Kettlebell). I start off with the 16 kg and work my way up.

If I go heavier than 100 lbs, I have to use the Hungarian Core Blaster.

I weigh 60kg, so basically, what weight should I use to try something like that ?

Recommendation

Start off with a Kettlebell around one third of you body weight, if possible. Then work up to heavier Kettlebrells if you have them.

Who's Swing Who

I weighed around 194 lbs/88 kg when I was performing 175 lb/around 80 kg Hungarian Core Blaster Swings.

Initially, when performing Swings with 175 lb/around 80 kg, the Hungarian Core Blast was Swinging me; there a learning curve with the Heavier Swings.

My favorite hinge movement (irrespective of the tool used) is, by far, the double kettlebell clean, using very heavy bells.
Bringing my hands low enough on the downswing to clear the width of two bells always leaves my lower back sore. One 40kg is great. Two 20kgs, not good....

Mark Reifkind on “Ba Boom” and more Knee Bend
Enter the “Ba Boom.” For some reason, it occurred to me that after pushing the hips to the rear, I should then let the hips drop a bit before ascending. It worked. I now had a position I could jump out of, like the bounce off a diving board. With just a bit of “shock absorption,” the entire strength curve changed. After that, every time I hit the apex of the back swing, I thought, “Ba boom,” and tried to jump out of the hole.

It worked like a charm. When I hit those last sets and reps, my mechanics were working for me instead of against me. I could jump. The bell was no longer swinging me. I was swinging it, even as I ran out of energy.

@Bauer I started experimenting with this last week and although the move is subtle it makes the 40 feel like a 36 for me. Really surprised by this. It's just as Rif says: "The bell was no longer swinging me. I was swinging it,"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom