all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That’s interesting. I don’t really question anything here on your side nor Riff’s, but I recall that his choice is the other way round. With all the mileage, he does overhead pressing with a BB and swings KBs for lower body, as that works best for his body.

As a competing weightlifter, I don't have the option. ;)

I have to use barbells for the competition lifts (clean, jerk, snatch) and the 1st tier strength lifts (squats, pulls, push press/jerk, etc).

2nd tier accessories and GPP can be whatever.

I think we should stop generalizing, because bodyweight is a big factor.
A 60Kg guy has a much harder time working against the forces of a 48Kg KB than someone who weighs 100Kg.
This^.
I am 124kg and I’m sorry...but I don’t benefit from swinging a 32kg kettlebell. I’m much stronger than it with the appropriated technique. I enjoy Swinging a 56kg bell emom and i feel Just fine.

It's always a funny thing to talk about - absolute vs relative. My single DL number won't be impressive, it's 2.3 bw, but it's not so far from 2.44 bw done by Haftor Bjornsson with 501 kg.
So what matters more? ?

Sometimes significant figures clash with "significant figures."

It's always a funny thing to talk about - absolute vs relative. My single DL number won't be impressive, it's 2.3 bw, but it's not so far from 2.44 bw done by Haftor Bjornsson with 501 kg.
So what matters more? ?
He also has to move it up a 6'9" frame, so he might be lifting in the same realm of % bodyweight, but it is like starting in a big deficit and moving a loooot further than a normal person.

Interesting video.

I really think that the majority of people who are training for fitness and health don't need to push their swing weights that high. The numbers he gives are pretty solid. Most of my female clients use the 16-24kg bells and most of my guys use 24-32kg.

Having said that, there is a place for heavy swings and I think this sort of applies to every lift. The heavier you go the better you get at moving light or moderate weights. Your ability to endure high reps goes through the roof. Many snatch test programmes I believe are built off this principle of snatching way heavier than needed for the test.

I can personally vouch for this. I have recently built up to a 40kg press at 72kg bodyweight. Today on a whim I was able to double kettlebell press two 24kgs 13 times (strict). Before pressing the 40kg my best was 8. Sure there are other factors at play and some will be psychological but I firmly believe heavy weights builds a big engine which for certain purposes and people can be useful.

This is of course for performance which is a totally different thing from health and wellness. For that I agree with Dan John.

Sometimes significant figures clash with "significant figures."

it is like starting in a big deficit and moving a loooot further than a normal person.
It is not about significance, path travelled, or advocating Haftor. Could use Eddie Hall's example. The matter I was mentioning is clear - how relative weight lifted vs bodyweight ratio measures vs heavy a#@ weight lifted no matter the bodyweight. Not in the competition or record attempt, but in the training process.

It is not about significance, path travelled, or advocating Haftor. Could use Eddie Hall's example. The matter I was mentioning is clear - how relative weight lifted vs bodyweight ratio measures vs heavy a#@ weight lifted no matter the bodyweight. Not in the competition or record attempt, but in the training process.

Sounds to me like you guys are talking conceptually about the type of variables that are assessed in the Sinclair Score.

Sounds to me like you guys are talking conceptually about the type of variables that are assessed in the Sinclair Score.

Probably. Or about Wilks coefficient, or similar existing. My original question "What matters more" was more of a "who values what". Some will grow muscle mass to move big weight, some will remain in the same weight category.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom