all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What most can do..

Find your "strong enough" range

If swinging heavy is accepted by your body and it excites you then go for it and proceed with safety at all times..

I do agree that working towards sinister (even solid for some) is already specialization in itself.

During the quarantine, i did double bell swing, 72 kg total, reps range from 3 to 7, about 30-50 reps per seasons, 2-3 seasons a week for 3-4 weeks. If i use SnS probably i would use the 32, even the 25. Heavy swing is fine, as long as we do not use the SnS or QnD point of views

What most can do..

Find your "strong enough" range

If swinging heavy is accepted by your body and it excites you then go for it and proceed with safety at all times..

I do agree that working towards sinister (even solid for some) is already specialization in itself.
Nutrition first, then move well, then strong enough. From here people can stay put there for the long haul (plateau is eventually a PR) or specialuze in max strength, muscle, endurance, fat loss, skill, sport, etc.
Seem like a reasonable template for anyone figuring out A --> B without using generalizations?

My rule of thumb:

>1/3 bodyweight, I use barbell cleans.

Yeah, I can 1H swing my 40 kg KB for reps, but I don't need to go that heavy if I'm trying to train power-endurance / conditioning.

And if I'm trying to train pure max power, 40 kg is too light compared to what I can do with barbell cleans.

Agreed, I would do the same if I had a barbell setup available... someday!

If you are working with Double 32kg KBs then you are handling 64kg load—the answer about heavy swings is "it depends." IMO
And how are they programmed...so many variables.

Gentlemen,

Let us conduct ourselves as students of strength first and foremost :)

Without any context, there will be no clear picture when it comes to heavy swings.

If the individual does not swing it chest height but the purpose is to use the movement to develop a stronger grip and to make their current bell feel lighter, then the reason is valid

For information purposes the gentleman in the video above one arm swinging a 68kg is master SFG Mark Reifkind

Hope this input adds more insight to the discussion

If the individual does not swing it chest height but the purpose is to use the movement to develop a stronger grip and to make their current bell feel lighter, then the reason is valid

For information purposes the gentleman in the video above one arm swinging a 68kg is master SFG Mark Reifkind

Hope this input adds more insight to the discussion
Yes, I know. I pick this clip on his blog (or his facebook, I don't really remember).

I recall Mark saying, on a different thread here, that he does not mind not being able to swing those heavy bells to chest level once he starts lifting them. It comes over time.

I recall Mark saying, on a different thread here, that he does not mind not being able to swing those heavy bells to chest level once he starts lifting them. It comes over time.

I'm sympathetic to that POV.

I don't swing something until I can clean it, and I clean it so that I can press it.

My rationale?

For me, KBs are primarily an upper body training and conditioning tool; I have barbells for heavy leg stuff.

Last edited:
I'm sympathetic to that POV.

I don't swing something until I can clean it, and I clean it so that I can press it.

My rationale?

KBs are primarily an upper body training and conditioning tool; I have barbells for heavy leg stuff.

That’s interesting. I don’t really question anything here on your side nor Riff’s, but I recall that his choice is the other way round. With all the mileage, he does overhead pressing with a BB and swings KBs for lower body, as that works best for his body.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom