all posts post new thread

Barbell Hello new guy here with questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kong

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone, I'm a new member here on the forum and have some questions.

First off my screen name is Kong,

I have read PTTP and I have also read some of the post/threads here regarding PTTP, I was hoping someone could offer me some clarification on the "press" portion of the program.

Is this a Bench press or a Military Press?

I look forward to the info, thank you

Kong

PTTP’s recommended press is the barbell side press.

-S-

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here on the forum and have some questions.

First off my screen name is Kong,

I have read PTTP and I have also read some of the post/threads here regarding PTTP, I was hoping someone could offer me some clarification on the "press" portion of the program.

Is this a Bench press or a Military Press?

I look forward to the info, thank you

Kong

The primary press outlined in PTTP! itself is a side press, with the floor press as an alternative. Among other reasons, it is my understanding that Pavel chose those particular presses because - like they deadlift - they required no other equipment other than a barbell and plates. Pavel has spoken since then more highly of the bench press than I would've thought he would, and the bench press and any number of other press variations can be used in a PTTP format (2x5, 5 days/week) format to great success. I've been practicing an overhead press (military press) because it serves my current goals. I may do some cycles of bench in the future, but standing overhead pressing ability is of more interest to me at present.

Reactions: jef
I could never understand Pavel's fascination with the side press (no disrespect). Upright two armed press is simple, allows to move higher load and activates the hell out of trunk muscles. I guess one can justify any lift variation over another, but I don't see the need to reinvent the lift. Mind you, Pavel seems to have changed his opinion in regards to the bench press - in Beyond Bodybuilding he said that bodybuilders bench press because they can do it laying down - and I wouldn;'t be surprised if he does the same in regards to bent vs. military press. Anyway, deadlift and standing press is superior combination in my opinion.

I thank all of you for clearing that issue up for me, I look forward becoming a knowledgeable and productive member of the forum. Again thank you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom