all posts post new thread

Old Forum Help! Back injury!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Geoffrey, a big +1 to what Brett said. You need to also look at it the other way - even if it's not overwhelming effective, if you're one of the people who is helped by it ...

I am, BTW, one of the success stories for this sort of thing. I've given the details many times before, happy to do so again, but my point here is that MRIs and cortisone shots can and do help many people with lumbar disc issues.

-S-

I have seen several rather poor outcomes including a ruptured biceps tendon (racket ball after tendonitis inflammation and pain were erased with cortisone injection)

This is from the Mayo Clinic link

Cortisone shots carry a risk of complications, such as:

Death of nearby bone (osteonecrosis)
Joint infection
Nerve damage
Thinning of skin and soft tissue around the injection site
Temporary flare of pain and inflammation in the joint
Tendon weakening or rupture
Thinning of nearby bone (osteoporosis)
Whitening or lightening of the skin around the injection site

Yes and I would happy if I was one it helped. But only looking at possible positive outcomes is how this sort of thing is oversold and misused by mechanized medicine. If I really blew up my back after, there would be no way to prove it was from the injection and no one would be much interested in finding out. But I would still be crippled and in for a very long bout of misery and incapacitation.

Both links you posted above, at least to me, look like very good reason to avoid cortisone injection.

@christine:
below is the article, you can download the pdf off the link

The whole article is excellent. Check table 4 for a quick glance.
Feel free to PM me to get my email if you want to continue the discussion.

And below if you click on the link and scroll down to table 2 and click you can find in the table the summary of research on steroid injections for low back pain

Driving a car or crossing a street open to vehicle traffic may carry a risk of complication, such as...

When we step back, we have to balance benefits and costs in everything we do. The decision to swing balls of iron around your house and over your head obviously carries a risk that warrants "safety" instructions in Pavel's books. I understand the fear of the worst case scenario, often until I realize how inconsistent I'm being. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I almost didn't want to because there are cases of people having permanent numbness, loss of taste, and all sorts of terrible things. Looking at the worst case scenario is always daunting, you have to understand how rare it is. The surest way to destroy your health is to avoid all the beneficial things that COULD cause negative consequences in some instances.

If it comes down to the ONLY viable option, I don't see why you should avoid the shot. However, I definitely avoid the standard "Ingest, inject, incise" model of Western medicine to whatever degree I can, and I respect that you do the same. But there is a time and place for it.

"I’ve been doing S&S for over a year and just acquired a bulging disc in my back!"

How do you know for sure that you just acquired a bulging disc in your back?

And how do you know for sure that this bulging disc is the cause of whatever pain you're currently experiencing?

Pain could be many things. For example, it could be muscular.

Do you get pain while you're doing S&S or at other times?

By all means, visit a doctor.

I'm just shocked by all this talk about injections and surgery and what not. We don't even know what kind of pain you're experiencing.

All you've said is that it is an "inconvenience". No need to freak out.

I'm sure you'll be able to go back to training with proper guidance.

@ Hi Richard,
At this stage, it is an emergency, ( failure ...),
I read your link, it is an article, no scientific data.

I wrote that Cortisone injections / ( PRP, electro stimulation also...) are a treatment for nerve degeneration in case of nerve impingement, in this case.

It is obvious that any other " back pain ", without pinched nerves can have another treatment without imaging investigations.

My mistake, wrote cortisone injections are made under MRI, wrong of course...
They are made under CT...and sometimes without...( nerves sleeves injections.)

that's okay christine :) We are all busy. Rick definitely has plenty of information in order to choose from different points of view!

Geoffrey
This will be my last post on this

Read the warning list on ANY medication - over the counter or prescription

They have to list them even if the risk is incredibly small.

Everyone should make their own decision based on a conversation with their DOCTOR not internet "research"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom