all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Help choosing progra.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jacobo

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
I have been working on a more bodybuilding workout routine . The thing is that I got burnout and had a period of fatigue out of training. It was curious that after some time working out I was feeling my adrenaline super high the days I workout (tested it in blood test and was indeed high) and some weeks later the burnout came. It's actually the second time it happens. Anyone know why it could be? But I came with other issues as sleeping worse, a bit of anxiety and low libido. After 3-4 weeks of rest my energy is back.

The thing is that now I feel better I used this time to research something minimalist and came back to Pavel's programs. I thought about S&S but an old injury in my hips doesn't allow me to do Turkish get up without a bit of pain. I thought about the quick and the dead, which is indeed super minimalist and improved health and energy. Also I thought about a minimalist powerlifting routine as Marty Gallagher's ones.
May I please ask your recommendation given my situation?
Thank you in advance!

I think it's because you're not letting yourself recover. The general rule of thumb is three weeks of work, one light week to recover, but there are many other ways to manage fatigue (Pavel manages fatigue by trying to minimize it in the first place).

So you don't NEED to switch your bodybuilding routine, you just need to let yourself recover. If you would have taken time off before the burnout, your gains would have shot up as your body finally had the space it needed to adapt to the demands you were placing on it.

In more detail:

The hypertrophy programs I've run recently are 6-8 weeks in length, but the beginning volume is much less than peak, and the deload week at the end is about half peak volume.

Your big gains actually happen during the deload period while your body gets ahead of the recovery debt and super compensates.

Wendler's 5/3/1 (not hypertrophy focused) has a deload every 4th or 5th week, if I recall (it's been a long time).

It's not really a matter of minimalist vs complex -- it's a matter of periodizing your training.

In more detail:

The hypertrophy programs I've run recently are 6-8 weeks in length, but the beginning volume is much less than peak, and the deload week at the end is about half peak volume.

Your big gains actually happen during the deload period while your body gets ahead of the recovery debt and super compensates.

Wendler's 5/3/1 (not hypertrophy focused) has a deload every 4th or 5th week, if I recall (it's been a long time).

It's not really a matter of minimalist vs complex -- it's a matter of periodizing your training.
Thank you @watchnerd!! I have did the program for 12 weeks without fellas, so makes sense that the issue was the programming. My recovery abilities are not good though, so also wanted to start checking some more minimalist training.

If you check your lifting logs, you should be able to pinpoint where about the fatigue started building up too much. It will probably be between 4-12 weeks. Just start the cycle over and plan to deload that week. This will change over time as you build up work capacity and change focus. A bodybuilding routine will have a different fatigue build up than a strength routine.

If your goal is hypertrophy, S&S isn't going to do that. Marty's Purposeful Primitive routines do have some hypertrophy built in (and it works really well).
But you can't really beat 5/3/1 for a "just do this" routine the builds muscle and strength.

You're more than likely burning yourself out... I would look into the built strong material... It uses plan strong principals, but bias towards hypertrophy

If you check your lifting logs, you should be able to pinpoint where about the fatigue started building up too much. It will probably be between 4-12 weeks. Just start the cycle over and plan to deload that week. This will change over time as you build up work capacity and change focus. A bodybuilding routine will have a different fatigue build up than a strength routine.

This is key.

For me it will manifest as something like the not hitting the target number of reps on a 4th or 5th set (usually because form is turning to garbage, so technical failure), or just being too pooped to even do the last set, when the prior week I could.

If that persists for another week, that's my warning sign it's time to back off and reset the cycle.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom