all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help fix my swings

Gypsyplumber

Level 5 Valued Member
Definitely looking better! I would also encourage you (as others have said) to “enjoy the float” let the bell pause and float in the standing plank position. It helps with timing.

Stephen B.

Level 2 Valued Member
I finally got back to practicing and training, wrestling practice has drained a lot of time and energy recently. I started with the broomstick hinge drill, then the towel swing again, then I tried swings with the 35lbs and 50lbs swings. I think the hinge and the towel swings were good, but I'm still disappointed in my form with the regular swings. I think my hinge is definitely better, but I'm still rounding my back, especially around the shoulders.

They felt pretty good, I feel like I let the bell float more and hinged in a better way. The hinge is still unfamiliar, but it feels like a better way to control the kettlebell.

I also recorded a set of pistols in the middle of my training after the swings. I've gotten into the habit of pushing my knee forward during them, sometimes coming onto my toes a little, not sure if that's a bad thing.

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
The 50 lb swings look really good! I wouldn't bother with the 35 lb 2H swings if I were you. They're just too light.

I think your back is OK, but your shoulders could be tighter. I like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets."

Nice job with the pistols.

Stephen B.

Level 2 Valued Member
The 50 lb swings look really good! I wouldn't bother with the 35 lb 2H swings if I were you. They're just too light.

I think your back is OK, but your shoulders could be tighter. I like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets."

Nice job with the pistols.
Okay, thank you! I will try the cue tomorrow.

Benjamin Renaud

Level 7 Valued Member
Wow, the swings really did improve a lot. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get them perfect right away, you'll keep improving them each and every practice session you get if you stay mindful.

Stephen B.

Level 2 Valued Member
Did more hinges and towel swings, then two sets of 50lbs and 70lbs swings. I noticed that I'm still rounding my upper back just before my hips hinge, which provoked some upper back discomfort after my sets with the 70lbs bell. My swings are getting a lot more comfortable though, and I think the shoulder blades cue helped.

Gypsyplumber

Level 5 Valued Member
Swings are definitely looking better! And those pistols are impressive, pistols are my weekness! I would still recommend learning to not whip the bell upwards at the end, but swing the bell out and up to a solid strong standing plank notice the packed lats in this photo. You can get away with whipping the bell up in two handed swings. But the next progression is 1 hand swings and you can’t when doing them. Build the foundation now.

Attachments

• 34435CC1-7255-4569-92C0-D8E7954E3F96.png
    34435CC1-7255-4569-92C0-D8E7954E3F96.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom