all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help fix my swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Definitely looking better! I would also encourage you (as others have said) to “enjoy the float” let the bell pause and float in the standing plank position. It helps with timing.

I finally got back to practicing and training, wrestling practice has drained a lot of time and energy recently. I started with the broomstick hinge drill, then the towel swing again, then I tried swings with the 35lbs and 50lbs swings. I think the hinge and the towel swings were good, but I'm still disappointed in my form with the regular swings. I think my hinge is definitely better, but I'm still rounding my back, especially around the shoulders.

They felt pretty good, I feel like I let the bell float more and hinged in a better way. The hinge is still unfamiliar, but it feels like a better way to control the kettlebell.

I also recorded a set of pistols in the middle of my training after the swings. I've gotten into the habit of pushing my knee forward during them, sometimes coming onto my toes a little, not sure if that's a bad thing.

The 50 lb swings look really good! I wouldn't bother with the 35 lb 2H swings if I were you. They're just too light.

I think your back is OK, but your shoulders could be tighter. I like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets."

Nice job with the pistols.

The 50 lb swings look really good! I wouldn't bother with the 35 lb 2H swings if I were you. They're just too light.

I think your back is OK, but your shoulders could be tighter. I like the cue "put your shoulder blades in your opposite back pockets."

Nice job with the pistols.
Okay, thank you! I will try the cue tomorrow.

Wow, the swings really did improve a lot. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get them perfect right away, you'll keep improving them each and every practice session you get if you stay mindful.

Did more hinges and towel swings, then two sets of 50lbs and 70lbs swings. I noticed that I'm still rounding my upper back just before my hips hinge, which provoked some upper back discomfort after my sets with the 70lbs bell. My swings are getting a lot more comfortable though, and I think the shoulder blades cue helped.

Swings are definitely looking better! And those pistols are impressive, pistols are my weekness! I would still recommend learning to not whip the bell upwards at the end, but swing the bell out and up to a solid strong standing plank notice the packed lats in this photo. You can get away with whipping the bell up in two handed swings. But the next progression is 1 hand swings and you can’t when doing them. Build the foundation now.

Attachments

• 34435CC1-7255-4569-92C0-D8E7954E3F96.png
    34435CC1-7255-4569-92C0-D8E7954E3F96.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 12
Did more swing practice today, finished with two sets with 70lbs. I upper back is still rounding, but I can see and feel it getting better. The hinge feels really comfortable now, but the breathing mechanics are difficult for me (I'm breathing like Darth Vader after the first set). My forearms also got decently pumped.

Swings are definitely looking better! And those pistols are impressive, pistols are my weekness! I would still recommend learning to not whip the bell upwards at the end, but swing the bell out and up to a solid strong standing plank notice the packed lats in this photo. You can get away with whipping the bell up in two handed swings. But the next progression is 1 hand swings and you can’t when doing them. Build the foundation now.
Thanks for the tip! Looking at the video again I can see I'm really heavy on the bell with my lats, I'll try to get the arms straight next time, and swing the bell more forward instead of just up. The pistols are something I've been doing for a long time, and I eventually got to reps with 50lbs, though I'm pretty sure I was hitching my hips at that point, as my swings didn't improve at all during that time. I was only greasing the grove and not swinging, because I hated the high volume swing workouts from RoP. I tried the Man Maker, and gave up after one or two sets because I couldn't jog aerobically, and it never occurred to me to just walk instead. I stopped pistol squatting for a while when I did S&S (hated the swings), then started again, but in a more quad-dominant style where it's harder to cheat.

I am definitely no expert per se on swings (only lift 24kg right now) but isn't that head position generally considered sub-optimal? I used to swing like that and it was uncomfortable for my neck so I fixed my head position. Just curious!

I am definitely no expert per se on swings (only lift 24kg right now) but isn't that head position generally considered sub-optimal? I used to swing like that and it was uncomfortable for my neck so I fixed my head position. Just curious!
Yep, it is, but I’ve been focusing on other aspects of the swing first. I’ll start working on it soon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom