all posts post new thread

Barbell Help for a Russian Bear Cycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eric Ramos

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all, new hear and I wanted to take my training in a different direction. I've predominantly trained HIT or to failure for 1-3 sets on 2-3 workouts a week. My my goal has been size but I haven't been gained a lick of it. I've got 13.25 in arms. I'm about to hit a 315x15 SLDL PR that I've been chasing right before I hit my 40th b-day in a few weeks. But after I hit that I really just want to turn my training in a different direction to see if I can gain some size.

So I wanted to give the Russian Bear a shot. My question is on the setup to cycle lifts. Is it suggested I follow the setup in PTTP cycling and start at 70-80% and cylce up while running the RussionB protocol OR is it better to stay at a hardish set of 5 and do the RB and only go up once things get easy?

I found the Pavel's post that I attached in the pic and I really like that combo so it's what I plan to stick with.

A
Press* (100lbs5rm) (Starting cycle 70lbs)
Squat* (but I'd do the Front squat) (155lb 5RM) (starting cycle 125lbs)

B
Bench* (155 5RM 125)
Deadlift (I'd have to check but probably 375lbs 5RM) (starting cycle 300lbs)

*yup training to failure has not done any of my pressing movements a favor

I'd LOVE to do the chin up but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to add another lift.

I'd appreciate any feedback as this is the first time I'm trying on of Pavel's cycles or routines. Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181112-151909.png
    Screenshot_20181112-151909.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 27
@Eric Ramos, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Have you considered a program like 20-rep squats?

-S-
Thanks for the reply. I haven't done one in a while. I topped out just shy of 225*20 the last time around. I didn't gain much size. I actually did much better on a 15 rep Deadlift, as far as size goes. But just around the back. Nowhere else.

I was contemplating doing another breathing squat stint bit I was wondering how I'd do on this instead. I'm actually better suited for the front squat. I've got really long legs and a short torso.

@Eric Ramos, I've always considered muscle hypertrophy like a cake recipe - you need all the ingredients, and even leaving out one of them is a problem. Have you been eating enough, sleeping enough, relaxing enough, and whatever else you may need in order to gain size?

Note also that what you're better suited to may be just what _not_ do to if you want to add muscle.

-S-

I'm much tighter on my diet than I used to be. I used to just get fat, even on a slight surplus. Not much muscle. I stay slightly above maintenance. Much more and I just gain fat.

Usually I've tried high intensity to failure so this is something I wanted to try and I was curious how to run a RB program.

@Eric Ramos, I've always considered muscle hypertrophy like a cake recipe - you need all the ingredients, and even leaving out one of them is a problem. Have you been eating enough, sleeping enough, relaxing enough, and whatever else you may need in order to gain size?

Note also that what you're better suited to may be just what _not_ do to if you want to add muscle.

-S-

Maybe not what you want to hear, but maybe you try a serious strength program before this. I think your numbers are not very high and your mass can also develop with more strength. I would suggest to do a proven strength program like PTTP and then go for something with more muscle building volume after some months.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but maybe you try a serious strength program before this. I think your numbers are not very high and your mass can also develop with more strength. I would suggest to do a proven strength program like PTTP and then go for something with more muscle building volume after some months.

So do PTTP and NOT do the RB right after? Yeah, my pressing is horrible. I've tried starting strength type routines and just my pulling goes up. I can do that. Like I said, I'm willing to do a 180 on stuff. I did GSLP, which is like Starting Strength and I got my Squat up to 250 but my pressing didn't budge. My dead is in the high 300's.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, you can try this as an easy experiment to see whether the low volume of HIT is your problem. Just choose one pushing, one pulling, one legs exercise. Limiting the exercises means you can easily tell where the growth is meant to occur. Go to the gym and do five hard sets of each. That is sets close to failure. Keep the reps high, 10+. Rest period about one to two minutes. Stick with two to three workouts weekly. Up your calorie intake by eating more protein. Give it four weeks. If volume was your problem you should be able to see noticeable improvement in your physique.

@LukeV ...I like that. Quite a bit actually. Ok. I can give that a go after I grab the 315*15 on my SLDL. I should make it in two weeks.

Hi Eric, you can try this as an easy experiment to see whether the low volume of HIT is your problem. Just choose one pushing, one pulling, one legs exercise. Limiting the exercises means you can easily tell where the growth is meant to occur. Go to the gym and do five hard sets of each. That is sets close to failure. Keep the reps high, 10+. Rest period about one to two minutes. Stick with two to three workouts weekly. Up your calorie intake by eating more protein. Give it four weeks. If volume was your problem you should be able to see noticeable improvement in your physique.

@LukeV ...I like that. Quite a bit actually. Ok. I can give that a go after I grab the 315*15 on my SLDL. I should make it in two weeks.

I should have specified initial reps high, 10+, as they will decline each set. Target 10 to 15 reps on your first set. Please report back progress. Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom