all posts post new thread

Bodyweight help how to start out after losing strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kazma

Level 1 Valued Member
hi h got injured in an accident and so not been able to exercise im fine now but its been about a year cant even lift weights im that weak i was thinking of doing pushups pull ups and squats 3 times a week to rebuild my strength im not sure about reps and sets for my goal im in my 30s any help wound be great thanks

Look at 'Body By Science' (five machine exercises, weight moved slowly) and start with lowest weight you can handle for about 60 seconds of moving the weight as slowly as possible, up and down. When you can exceed 90 seconds increase the weight next time. I used this for rehab and it worked fantastically well. Remember move the weight as slow as possible

hi h got injured in an accident and so not been able to exercise im fine now but its been about a year cant even lift weights im that weak i was thinking of doing pushups pull ups and squats 3 times a week to rebuild my strength im not sure about reps and sets for my goal im in my 30s any help wound be great thanks

Welcome to Strong First...

First thing is to be cleared by a doctor for any training, especially considering your accident.
Second is to set some training goal.
Third, also considering your accident, you might want to consider getting an FMS (Functional Movement Screening)
Fourth, if you want to entertain training in Strong First methods, you might also want to seek out a Strong First instructor or look at taking one of the courses offered.

It also depends on your injury.
I would say do lots of mobility pre training and stretching post training.
As for training itself go with the basics. Push ups, pull ups and squats sounds like a good idea. Aim for perfect technique and progress slowly.

Hello,

First, it is always good to want to get back to training ;)

However, is your doctor ok with the fact you get back to training ? What was your injury (if it is not too indiscret of course).

Assuming you want to get "simultaneously" max strength, muscular and cardiovascular endurance (then kind of conditioning), I would go for something simple (but not necessary easy) and full body like
pull up / chin up + dips + push ups + squats + abs
In terms of sets / reps, there are a lot of options. If you do not look for strength only : you can do between 3 and 5 sets of max reps (avoiding failure), with very short rest (30s or less) between sets.
In terms of exercises:
=> you could consider at the beginning some standard push ups, and then switching toward elevated feet or one-arm.
=> For the abs, plenty of options : plank / hollow position (HardStyle plank), hanging leg rises, "Pavel's sit up"
=> Squats : standard version (deep, flat feet), and then reaching pistol

If you are not interested in conditioning, these exercises can also be down very slowly (work on slow twitch). This will mostly work maximum strength.

Finally, do not neglect stretching (flexible steel, FMS, Relax into Stretch, and so on)

Kind regards,

Pet'

hi yes dr has said fine to exercise basically i broke a few bones in my hands arms and legs nothing too bad no pain now i want to return to lifting when i have the strength be strong and healthy but at the moment i can only do about 3 sets of 2 pull ups 8 squats 5 pushups

Last edited:
Welcome back to the game @kazma and glad you're well.

Though you may be cleared from your doctor, consider there may be some underlying movement/asymmetry issues.

To echo what's been said, consult an FMS or PT based practitioner.

Those 3 exercises are enough to get you started @kazma

If you can add a rep every week or so to the pushups and squats until you can do more than 10 -12 reps of each you can start finding ways to increase the difficulty to make them harder. Squats can progress to partial depth one leg squats (pistols) and then onto full depth squats as you get stronger. With pushups you can raise your legs or move on to one arm and then one arm one leg pushups.

Pullups might take a bit longer to add reps but if strength is your focus you won't gain a lot from going over about 6 reps without adding weight or doing more sets. A lot of bodyweight trainers want to see 10 strict reps on the pullup before you start adding weight but I don't think its' essential.

Some straight arm work is always good compliment that type of work too. L-sit's handstand holds & various progressions towards a Planche (tuck planche, planche leans etc)

I always neglected the straight arm work years ago and thought it was largely unnecessary & some say it is but I believe it helps build more resilient shoulders & elbows, so including straight arm work when you feel your joints are up to it could help too.

Don't feel the need to rush through any progressions and you should be fine.

Hello,

@kazma
IMO, it is better at the beginning not adding weight. This will permit you to firstly correct a potential strength asymmetry.

Plus it will reinforce joints and tendons.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree a good assessment from an FMS would be a great place to start now that you are pain free and cleared by your doctor.
Once that is done, depending the outcome I would select the Grease the Groove with your push up and pull up and add sets of bodyweight squats and planks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom