all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Help me optimize my bodyweight/kettlebell routine.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

si1ver

First Post
Hi, I'd like to ask you guys for help in organizing my full body bodyweight/kettlebell routine. My main goal is hypertrophy, explosiveness and muscular endurance. I know these aren't the ideal tools for such goal, but I'm not trying to get huge or anything since I'm pretty content with my current physique. I decided on alternating between 2 workouts, A & B, since I thought that would allow me to hit all the main movements, but I'm open for other suggestions aswell.

The reps are what I'm aiming for in every set, depending on how hard the movement is for me. If you think that I should be doing more reps or more weight for some movements please let me know. For example for Press, I'm afraid to add more weight since all my pulling movements are bodyweight and I'm afraid to develop an imbalance using more weight (maybe this is dumb concern) + it's the only weight where I can add weight since I use the 32 kg for everything else basically. Other concerns:
  • I've thought about incorporating something like Single Leg Glute Bridges but not sure where it would fit since I already have a hamstring exercise on both days. Maybe replacing Swings & using 1 set of higher reps Swing as warmup for both workouts?
  • Not really sure about Halos, I find the 16 reps quite challenging and can feel my shoulders and traps afterwards (which is what I'm trying to hit with them), but maybe they are more of a warmup movement aswell? Thoughts about replacing them for a different shoulder/trap movement (not sure which)?
  • I also got a 24 kg bell just sitting around, since it's too light for my leg exercises and too heavy for Pressing (can do about 5 reps). Is there a space to incorporate it somehow aswell?
  • Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Workout A:
Step-ups
- 3 x 15 reps each leg (bodyweight, strict form - heel touching the ground)
Dips - 3 x 15 reps (bodyweight, parallel bars)
Pull ups - 3 x 10 reps (bodyweight)
KB Swings - 3 x 24 reps (32 kg)
KB Halos - 3 x 16 reps (16 kg)
Calf raises - 3 x 16 reps each leg (bodyweight)

Workout B:
KB SL
RDL - 3 x 15 reps each leg (32 kg)
KB OHP - 3 x 10 reps each arm (16 kg)
KB Goblet squat - 3 x 24 reps (32 kg)
Inverted rows - 3 x 16 reps (bodyweight, parallel bars - legs lifted to the same height as the bars)
Push ups - 3 x 24 reps (bodyweight)
Jump rope - 3 x 100 reps

I would do:

warm-up: skipping, halos, push-ups

Workout A:
-step-ups
-dips
-inverted rows
-swings

Workout B
-goblet squats
-OHP
-pull-ups
-swings

As for your 24kg bell, you might be able to use it for tactical lunges.

May I ask how much do you weigh??

You said your goal is hypertrophy but then you also said I'm not trying to get huge.. can you please clarify?? Getting really huge takes years, a lot of accrued training volume and tons of food

The more specific you can be, the better we can respond to your questions:)

May I ask how much do you weigh??

You said your goal is hypertrophy but then you also said I'm not trying to get huge.. can you please clarify?? Getting really huge takes years, a lot of accrued training volume and tons of food

The more specific you can be, the better we can respond to your questions:)
I weigh around 69 kg at 180 cm height. I'd say I'm at about 12% bodyfat (just an estimate - visible abs but no crazy vascularity or anything).

As for my goal I'd like to get to max 75kg at the same bodyfat, but I'm happy with even just slight progress. I'm aware that I won't ever be huge "by accident", main issue being the amount of food and training that it requires as you mentioned. I'm not really willing to eat more than is comfortable for me just to reach a certain goal, because than I'd need to keep the same ridiculous food intake (and training volume) to maintain that physique.

I wouldn't say that hypertrophy is the main goal though - maybe I should've used the word "aesthetics". I'd just like to work on my overall performance (muscle endurance & explosiveness) by tweaking technique and tempo + adding reps, while using the "bodybuilding movements" if that makes any sense. The issue I have with most kb/bw programs I came across is that they mostly focus on the function and not so much hitting every muscle group thoroughly (since aesthetics is usually not one of the goals in those programmes).

Also the format I'm trying to go for here is to have 1 exercise to hit each major muscle group:
Chest, Back, Shoulders/Traps, Legs, Hamstrings, Calves

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom