all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help understanding enter the kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nostromo

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello all, i recently got enter the kettlebell.

i don’t understand the program in it...ive read the whole book (it didnt come with a dvd)

one part speaks about “the new rkc program minimum” and lists a routine, but later it speaks of other programming such as the monday-wednesday-friday heavy light medium day...

im just confused what to follow?

The book has two programs

Program minimum

Rite of passage

The PM is composed of swings and getups. Simple and Sinister is the revised program minimum

The ROP is a press focused program

Hope that helps

TS, I would advise you to buy Simple & Sinister 2.0. The book goes into great detail on what used to be called the Program Minimum, which has evolved into S&S.

Simple and Sinister is an excellent gateway drug to Kettlebell training.:) Stick with the program until you reach the standard in the book known as Timeless Simple. Once you've done that, you'll be much stronger and ready to take on more advanced programs like Rite of Passage.

i don’t understand the program in it...ive read the whole book (it didnt come with a dvd)

one part speaks about “the new rkc program minimum” and lists a routine, but later it speaks of other programming such as the monday-wednesday-friday heavy light medium day...

The layout can be confusing. Do the program minimum (or get Simple and Sinister and do that).

Swings one day, getups the other IIRC or just do them together, swings first.

Get a decent base going over a few months before ROP. When you're getting ready to transition add in some practice of cleans, presses and snatches.

Depending on your fitness level, I found that starting with EtK was quite helpful (I was WAAAAAY out of shape when I started, and recovering from an injury), but I quickly progressed to S&S 1.0, and jumped on the 2.0 bandwagon as soon as it was released.

The old one involved jogging, if memory served, and periodically doing swings along the way. I can't find the reference but it's written down somewhere.

-S-
The original program minimum in the RKC book is the snatch and bent press. I believe you are thinking of the "DOT Man Maker."

Last edited:

That book has a lot of good stuff in it, but the current recommendation is to start with "Kettlebell: Simple and Sinister 2.0", which is a whole other book. The "Enter the Kettlebell" book is excellent, but some stuff is dated (still works of course, but it's dated). It is an older book now. Pavel's (the author) thought and science keep evolving.

To use myself as an example, I've followed Simple and Sinister since February 2016. Now, in January 2021, five years later I am finally starting to add the snatches and presses from the book you read into my workouts in a serious way (and actually I'm not following the ladder method for the presses described in the book, nor the clean and press move, I'm just doing strict military presses). Snatches and presses are not necessary if you are doing swings and getups (the S&S programme). Snatches are a harder move to learn and to execute than swings (the comparable move here) and have more benefits, yes, but their difficulty is one mark against them compared with swings. Presses are certainly at least in my opinion, not better than getups. The getup is a much more holistic and complicated movement with lots of benefits well over and beyond the more narrow benefits of presses, but pressing is very important to develop the snatch move (which I am finally working at developing as we speak!) and it strengthens up a lot more of your body than you might suspect at first glance!

In any case, the recommended kettlebell plan at Strong First as I understand it is to start with Simple&Sinister and to achieve "Simple" which means effectively that you are able to do the programme comfortably with a 32kg kettlebell. After you have achieved this, then it is time to start to diversify (if you wish) into other things like snatches and presses etc in a serious way.

Worked for me at least!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom