all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Help with doing first push-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't doubt your honesty; your push-up problem remains inadequately diagnosed - we don't know _why_ you can swing but not do a push-up. You don't need a different push-up drill or program. I recommend you seek out an FMS or SFMA. Don't give up until you understand _why_ you cannot do a push-up.

-S-

Thank you. I've just looked for an FMS person, and there are three within ten miles of my house. Therefore, I will book an appointment. But is the general consensus, that once fixed, the programming I have is sufficient, just making sure that the tension is there and the shoulder are packed back as suggested by two posters?

The programming is not the issue, neither are the fine pints of technique. As others have mentioned, everyone should be able to do one push-up without specific programming or detailed instructions - that's the point you want to address, why you cannot.

-S-

Hey ajaan, congratulations on your weight loss and the progress you've made thus far. Plateaus happen and they can be very frustrating. My first recommendation is to stop training push-ups 3 times a week. Now that you are no longer a beginner you need more rest between training sessions. Give yourself 3-4 days between each push-up workout so that you are training push-ups no more than 2x a week. At some point you may have to increase rest to where you are training push-ups once a week. That is what I have found that I need to do. I'm 51 by the way. Secondly, whenever you hit a plateau, slow down the reps. I often train as slow as 3 seconds down, pause for 2 seconds and then 3 seconds up. You don't have to go that slow, a cadence of 2-1-2 would be fine. You could even do 2 seconds down, pause 1 second, then go up as quickly as you always do. The point is, make the reps count. Training should not be about doing more reps and more weight, it's about building strength. MAKE THE REPS COUNT. Yes, I know, we know we are making progress when we see the reps and weights going up, but focus on the training and check your ego at the door.

I've was becoming disillusioned with the lack of progress with push-ups, and my routine had been the same for some time now. Therefore, to vary it a little, I switched to Neupert's five week 'Dry Fighting Weight' program written about by Pavel on the SF website. Made reasonable progress with that, and found that I enjoy cleans and presses.

Therefore, for the time being, the 'pushing' part of the program comprises: double KB presses, old fashioned bench press, and TGU. I'll see over the coming months if that translates over to push-ups. To that I add in assisted pull-ups, and KB swings both 1H and 2H.

Thanks for asking.

Hello,

Did you try to slowly work on the negative first ?. You start from the top position, and really slowly, get down. This can be the first step.

Then, you can try to go up, by increasing progressively your range of motion - trying to move up on half PU for e.g.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom