all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Help with forearm hypertrophy!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I knocked up a wrist roller yesterday after reading @Geoff Chafe's post. I made it from 1 1/2" water pipe and a piece of webbing. I tried it with a 16kg bell attached to it the first time and although I could cheat my way through with poor form just that light weight was too much. I ended up having to drop back down to 12kg so I could do it with good form. I was doing them with the elbows tucked into the side of my rib cage and my arms bent at 90 deg.

It's a great tool, I might build a rack for it when I get a chance and try it with a heavier weight to see how much I can pull on it.

I knocked up a wrist roller yesterday after reading @Geoff Chafe's post. I made it from 1 1/2" water pipe and a piece of webbing. I tried it with a 16kg bell attached to it the first time and although I could cheat my way through with poor form just that light weight was too much. I ended up having to drop back down to 12kg so I could do it with good form. I was doing them with the elbows tucked into the side of my rib cage and my arms bent at 90 deg.

It's a great tool, I might build a rack for it when I get a chance and try it with a heavier weight to see how much I can pull on it.

I did create a wrist roller too but I have to use 2 shoes laces so the "string" is a bit longer, I have used it with a 4kg plate for...I don't know....half a minute? My forearms really started to burn. I did not have time to do it...and I have to make small adjustments, to make the string longer but I definitely saw it works.

I have 4 speakers, and 2 are quite tall, and 2 are smaller, so maybe I can create a "rack" from those speakers, or use my dip bars, but I don't think it's gonna work with the dip bars, they are bit too short for my taste and I would have to do wrist rolls from my knees and the friction may not be as good. Hope I find a way to do them, if not, I'll do them while standing up. If I do them standing up with arms bent at 90 degrees maybe I can get some contraction from the brachioradialis(which grown can have a huge impact on forearm size more than flexors and extensors) ? So doing wrist rollers with arms bent to 90 degrees would be like doing a reverse curl static hold at 90 degrees which takes out the biceps out of the equation and isolates brachioradialis I think.

Last edited:
You can also do them with your arms extended over your head; or hanging down in front of you. The latter necessities probably standing on something to get enough wind up length.

Using some form of rack will of course allow one to use considerable weight.

All of this talk is enough for me to get mine out and dust it off...

You can also do them with your arms extended over your head; or hanging down in front of you. The latter necessities probably standing on something to get enough wind up length.

Well, wrist rollers with a "rack" are not as good as I thought to be. Tried them with heavier weight(10 kg instead of 4 kg), but the normal ones seem to be the way to go, at least for me.

a thing on wrist rollers, I liked to prop up my arms on a rack with a barbell before doing them. this way I can focus less on holding my arms aloft and more on taking my time with the roller. many people go fast with this exercise because they cannot hold their arms up for long enough. make sure to do them with palms down and up.

I would suggest the same with all your hypertrophy goals. Find a way to slow down and increase tension and the time under tension for maximum hypertrophy.

Yes, stand on a chair or step or something. The normal range of motion is too short.

Hello guys. I started on my journey to 30 pull-ups and I'm doing GTG with weighted pull-ups, however, I got really skinny forearms and I kinda need some help to beef them up. Will weighted pull-ups alone help me to add some mass?

Sometimes I did barbell wrist rolls and farmer's carry at home, I got a barbell, dumbbells and a heavy gripper (I can get 10 reps on my left arm and 15-20 on my right arm). Should I do 10 sets of 5 reps and 5-10 minutes rest with my grippers? Any advice? I am really confused since it's not a topic Pavel really got into.

Put a towel around a bar and grip it and hang (Convict conditioning 2). The time under tension of isometric holds will contribute to hypertrophy. Like gymnastics Iron Cross. You could also try "levering" for forearms, an old time strongman technique. Just get a metal bar and ductape weigth to one end or make your own mace. I read that the competitive arm wrestling guys are into this.

Of course, the wrist rolls others have mentioned.

if you want to do calisthenics for the forearms size goal, i suggest planche progression. i had bigger forearms after 3 months of planche-focus training quite suprise - maybe because lots of tension have to be created by the hand to keep your body stable

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom