all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help with my circuit program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jalvarado

Level 4 Valued Member
This program I’m trying to create for myself has been a process of research for a long time and constantly trying to find what’s best. The more and more research is done you tend to gain knowledge but it also tends to add confusion due to many options in training.
From the days I did Insanity for weight loss straight for over 2 years what did I learn? It’s a crazy type of workout .. you will lose weight and fat for sure.. it’s a lot of plyo but done in a way that doesn’t improve strength since you keep going with not rest until you burn out. Moved on but learned the burpee, which will forever be in my training even as a warm-up. There are some movements that are king compared to others.

From calisthenics training I learned the push up variations and pull up variations and squats as well. Which will always be my choice for pushes and pulls. They are athletic and build/retain muscle depending on what style you use and even power in the push-uplike QD.

After work with KBs I took away the amazing power moves of the swing and snatch variations, nothing like it and we all know how the heart rate can go up with lighter longer variations and the power producing capabilities from the heavier shorter bursts.

my goal- somewhat above average strength as opposed to the normal man. Athletic lean physique coupled with proper nutrition for life. Able to produce power, strength, flexibility and sports whenever called upon.

the program. - this is where help is needed...

warm-up- mobility and a set of 15-20 burpees

the circuit 5 full rounds

KB swings or snatches (switch diff days and weight)
Push ups
Pull-ups
Squats

about 30 mins long 3 days a week. Other 3 days would be cardio, running or jump rope.

Questions are:
What type of result would this circuit style achieve? Should the exercises be arranged differently? Should I focus on a different style of modality like power push ups instead of normal? Thanks if you read all of this.

1) It is not clear what is your goal. It is easier to help you if you clearly define what is your goal.
2) If you just want to get a bit bigger, a bit leaner and stronger Pavel has the great S&S program that you can buy for ten dollars .
3) I have spent most of the last ten years making my own training programs, just because I liked it and because I thought that would give me the best results. Well. It has not given me that great results. For most of us I think it is better to just follow the advice of an expert, like for instance Pavel.
4) My other experience is that if you try to achieve everything at once, you end up achieving none of it. I have done this for ten years, so I know what I am talking about.
5) All of your exercises looks good and relevant. If you are not already knowledgeable about reps and loading and all that maybe read a bit about on the Internet, and then make up a plan for how to progress with the load.

If I were you I would either hire a Personal trainer or follow on of Pavel´s program.

Hope this helps.

It seems like the programming would make the difference. Those exercises, or variations of them, could be used for endurance, strength, or hypertrophy depending on how they're used.

It seems like the programming would make the difference. Those exercises, or variations of them, could be used for endurance, strength, or hypertrophy depending on how they're used.

This. Depending on how you load them and the rest:work periods you will get very different outcomes.
I've gotten very good overall results from circuits, but not the best for hypertrophy or top end strength.

Tactical Barbell (google it, the books can be bought on kindle or hard copy) cover this in their Strength Endurance!

my goal- somewhat above average strength as opposed to the normal man. Athletic lean physique coupled with proper nutrition for life. Able to produce power, strength, flexibility and sports whenever called upon.[\quote]

Why not work on s and s and better eating strategies??

I do enjoy cleans, presses and snatches but you will cover more ground when you get to using a 24kg at the very least?

Sorry. I now see that you stated what your goal was. I thought this was a presentation of your present physical state.

However I still maintain my former advice. If you have a lot of experience and knowledge about how to make a program, then you can design one yourself. If not it is almost always better to follow the program made by someone who has knowledge and experience. I also think your quite general goals can be achieved by almost any strength training program.

Also think of it like this. More is not always better. If a student studies 8 hours per day and sleeps 8 hours a day, that is called wise. Studying more and sleeping less is not better, but worse. The same with a training program. Adding stuff to another person's training program is not always better. Maybe it is not even neutral, but actually it is worse. So my boring and annoying advice would be: Follow a program from someone your respect without improving upon it.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom