all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Help with Programming 2 (Q&D)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DaveS

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey all,

I recently posted asking for help with programming ideas and got some great responses including that I should read Quick & The Dead as a good fit for my goals and situation.

I have now read Q&D and love the premise of focusing on power training with a cool 4 for 1 ‘mega deal’ of it simultaneously developing nearly all fitness qualities in what seems a near penancia magic pill for typical average Joe wanting GPP for life and recreational sport and nice hypertrophy/physique side effect, Me!

As I mentioned in my previous post i used train with KBs and body weight and got quite strong and have been building back after health problems and half way back after purely CC style body weight training but now wanting to use more effective protocols and KBs again.

I also need to fit the training into my weekly schedule of 4 sessions but 3 containing S&C work as 1 of the sessions is dedicated to kickboxing only. Im thinking of a schedule like this:

Monday - Q&D moderate volume (70-80 reps) to warm up then soccer drills
Tuesday - joint mobility
Wednesday - kickboxing (sparring)
Thursday - Q&D higher volume (80-100 reps)
Friday - joint mobility
Saturday - Q&D lower volume warm up (40-60 reps) then boxing bag work
Sunday rest

So looks good right? But i now want to complicate it slightly by saying i want to add some grinding strength work too but haven’t got any more time available each week.

I was reading RTK and the 2 week block training theory and wondered if it would work to do 2 week blocks of a Q&D schedule like the above with 2 weeks of a 3-5 style grinding strength work alternating so avoiding too much detraining effect etc BUT from searching through forum posts i see others saying need to do Q&D for at least 6 week blocks to get the effect so i then thought to do 6 week alternating blocks with grinding strength work but then the mitochondria style endurance adaptations will detrain too much during the grinding 6 weeks block, so what to do?

Thoughts please guys, perhaps do 6 weeks Q&D then 2 weeks strength alternating?

What do you reckon?

Thanks,

Dave.

Tuesday - joint mobility
Friday - joint mobility
Sunday rest

So looks good right? But i now want to complicate it slightly by saying i want to add some grinding strength work too but haven’t got any more time available each week.

I was reading RTK and the 2 week block training theory and wondered if it would work to do 2 week blocks of a Q&D schedule like the above with 2 weeks of a 3-5 style grinding strength work alternating so avoiding too much detraining effect etc BUT from searching through forum posts i see others saying need to do Q&D for at least 6 week blocks to get the effect so i then thought to do 6 week alternating blocks with grinding strength work but then the mitochondria style endurance adaptations will detrain too much during the grinding 6 weeks block, so what to do?

Thoughts please guys, perhaps do 6 weeks Q&D then 2 weeks strength alternating?

What do you reckon?

Thanks,

Dave.

I would think about maintaining the variability that is part of the program. If you do this, it might make sense to do your mobility work on Monday and a Q&D session on Tuesday.

For the grinds you could add TGUs or deadlifts after your Q&D days that are 40 or 60 reps. But you have a lot going on here do don’t overdo it.

Last edited:
Tuesday - joint mobility
Friday - joint mobility
Sunday rest
70 reps is not possible in Q&D -- each series is always 20 reps. I think a consistent heavy/medium/light volume rotation can work for Q&D if you want to match a lower Q&D volume with other activities and do a higher volume session as the only work for the day. But if you go by the recommended dice-roll variability, 5 series sessions only have a 1 in 6 probability, so chances are you would be fine with just going by dice roll following the delta 20 principle.

Q&D is very compatible with low volume grind work. I often do KB double front squats for 2 or 3 sets of 5 after Q&D, and a similar volume of MPs if I am not doing pushups that day.

You can also do low volume grind work on non-Q&D days.

Finally, here's a minimalist DL program that Pavel recommends as a complement to Q&D.
Q&D + Minimalist Deadlifts | StrongFirst

Last edited:
I would think about maintaining the variability that is part of the program. If you do this, it might make sense to do your mobility work on Monday and a Q&D session on Tuesday.

For the grinds you could add TGUs or deadlifts after your Q&D days that are 40 or 60 reps. But you have a lot going on here do don’t overdo it.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the input. Yes trying to fit a lot into the time and why wasnt thinking to add grinds on top but to alternate, interesting you mention i could add grimds too though your right in not over doing it. Perhaps i should scale back to the MED of 2 per week Q&D and drop the Thursday session?

Oh and good idea to split the Monday session and do Q&D Tuesday but i work a 12 hour shift that day so Tuesday more a rest day bar the mobility drills to wind down end of the day. Pesky work getting in the way of my training!...

Dave.

Last edited:
70 reps is not possible in Q&D -- each series is always 20 reps. I think a consistent heavy/medium/light volume rotation can work for Q&D if you want to match a lower Q&D volume with other activities and do a higher volume session as the only work for the day. But if you go by the recommended dice-roll variability, 5 series sessions only have a 1 in 6 probability, so chances are you would be fine with just going by dice roll following the delta 20 principle.

Q&D is very compatible with low volume grind work. I often do KB double front squats for 2 or 3 sets of 5 after Q&D, and a similar volume of MPs if I am not doing pushups that day.

Finally, here's a minimalist DL program that Pavel recommends as a complement to Q&D.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. Yes a typo really as ive not expressed the rep ranges correctly to reflect 20 rep series increments but youve noticed my idea of trying to force the variability to match the sessions other demands mostly for time requirements but also not wanting to over do any one session. Perhaps i could dice roll within a parameter of 1-2 do 60 reps, 3-4 do 80 reps, 5-6 do 100 reps (example for a heavy day) so somewhat random within the overall structure?...

Interesting point of adding low volume grind work after Q&D, i hadnt thought of that though makes sense of not needing lots of grind volume having already done the power work. I was thinking of OAPUs, Pistols, Pullups and double Kb C&P grinds but as an alternating block but obviously this would be way too much to add on, perhaps choosing 1-2 of them for 2-3 sets of 3-5 in each session like you mention and rotating the, over the sessions would work? Id have to work them into the rest periods between soccer/kickboxing rounds though...hmmm

Thanks,

Dave.

Last edited:

Some easy strength in your joint mobility days could work. I know your Tuesday us a bear but you can get TGUs or something comparable done in 15 minutes.

Perhaps i should scale back to the MED of 2 per week Q&D and drop the Thursday session?

3 times a week will do a lot more for your soccer and kickboxing than 2. Maybe shoot for 3 and settle for two when fatigue or life gets in the way.

Hey Tim,

Easy strength style grinds on the friday or sunday might be doable. I hadnt fully realised how flexible you can work around Q&D with other stuff but makes sense given its supposed to be non exhausting and the low volume grind approach like easy strength the same, expands the possibilities of how to arrange it all, thanks!

Dave.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom